Chapter 22

Eva

It was almost midnight when I pulled in front of the house, I got down from the taxi and walked my way past the guards, before making it inside.

I'd never understand why he keeps so many guards around.

The first thing I noted when I got was that the House was extra quiet and quite dark, then I recalled it was almost midnight. He's probably sleeping.

I climbed upstairs to the room and not bothering to do anything else, I jumped on the bed and drifted off due to exhaustion.

The next day before dawn I awoke, I don't know why I did, but I did and as I did, I moved slightly and felt my back press against something hard.

I froze for a second before realizing it was a body. I turned around slowly and was immediately caught off guard when I saw who it was, laying next to me.

What the hell is Carlos doing on my bed? Not to add shirtless.

I jumped off the bed and began calling and poking him to wake, but he didn't even flinch or move. The nerve of him to just sneak into my room at night. 

I looked away from his chest and began poking him again, but nothing happened....I grabbed a pillow to hit him with it but before I could, he held my hand in the air, stopping me with his eyes still closed. How's that even possibley? "You do understand that you're in my room?" He deadpanned fluttering his eyes open to me.

"I know this is your house, but you-" I stopped as my eyes roamed my surroundings, the walls were dark puritan gray and to the side was a massive walking closet.

Wait! this isn't my room. I turned to look at him and he had an amusing expression on his face and My cheeks immediately flooded with embarrassment. I must've mistaken his room from mine last night. I could I have been so stupid.

I quickly reached out and grabbed my phone and was about to walk away when his hand caught my wrist, "Stay.." he let go of my wrist and got up from the bed.

I watched after him as he walked over to the couch and settled himself on it, "Sleep now." with that he turned around to fall back to sleep.

I felt sorry for him, the couch could barely fit his broad body. I was almost tempted to suggest we share a bed, but I don't know if I would be able to catch any sleep at all if that happens.

"Go to bed Eva" his groaning voice had me jumping quickly into the covers and falling asleep once again, I woke up to the brimming light penetrating through the window. I yawned and stretched my arms, before looking to the side, to see Carlos sleeping.

I jumped up from the bed and stumbled my way to my room. As I got in, I quickly ran into the bathroom and took a quick shower before drying up my hair and body.

I then wore a white loose shirt and a blue short and made it out to the kitchen to start breakfast, before Carlos wakes up, but to my surprise he was already hovering around the stove.

I groaned. Placing my hands above my waist, Why does he make me look totally useless around here? "Hey," he mumbles quietly whisking the eggs skillfully. I stalked over to him and took it from him, "I got it." I tell him and he holds out his hand again for the bowl, but I shake stubbornly moving towards the side."

"Okay." he gave in dejectedly and turns to leave. It's probably just me, but he's been acting weird lately.

"Are you mad at me or something?" the words flew out of my mouth, stopping him at the doorway, He turns to me, "Are you serious?"

"What do you mean?"

"Where were you all day yesterday?" He probed, his eyes squinting with an odd expression, perhaps it's curiosity.

"I can't tell you..." I uttered looking away, it's bad enough I involved Nate into this mess, I can't get more people involved, especially him.

"Why?" He probed further, but I turned over to the pan, and began frying the egg, wishing he would just drop this subject, but the man his danm stubborn.

"What happened after you got out of Jail?" He blurted and the spatula dropped out of my hand. I couldn't believe him.

"You had me investigated?" I hurled, turning quickly to him, "You left me no choice, Eva." he hurled back.

"You had no right-" I snapped and stopped, holding back my temper together. Once I was calm enough, I looked up at him, folding my hands across my chest.

"What is it you want from me? I'm doing what you asked, I'm making you coffee every day till my debt is completed, that was the deal we had. So until I'm done with that or until you get down from your high horse and let me go please stay out of my business or better still stop prying into matters that don't concern you, you'd only get yourself killed."

I spat lastly and walked past him, I know my words were harsh, considering he's been the nicest person I have met my entire life, but it had to be said. The thing I need is for him to end up dead like Antonio.

I made it upstairs to the room and slammed the door behind and raking my hand through my hair I paced over to the window and stared out at the yard, I was soon interrupted by the squeaking of the door, but I didn't bother to look.

"I'm sorry-" Came his throbbing voice.

I quickly pulled my eyes off the window to look at him, Did he really just apologize, "I shouldn't have pried in your business, it's clearly personal." he said taking gradual steps towards me, "I just want to be able to protect you and keep you safe." I swallowed hard, his words were quite promising.

"You can't-"

He lets out a deep sigh as if holding himself back and nods, "I won't ask any more questions, at least until you're ready to trust me enough to tell me-"

I nodded, "Thank You," I whispered back.

He reaches out and tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear and I flinched a little, "Why are you being so nice to me? I have nothing to offer you in return-" I stopped as I observed his expression switch to one of hurt and disappointment, but he covered it up quickly.

"I need to get to work-" he uttered and turned away allowing me to watch after him as he slammed his way out of the room. Did I say something wrong?

_____