Chapter 43

"Here's the address." I handed it over after I had a call with Antonio in a local phone booth. Luckily, he's in Mexico and has no idea I've been held captive, he orders I wait for him to return.

"Thanks, Eva." Aurora told me while the rest of the men went out to locate Antonio.

"Escort her back to the cell," Miles uttered to his men and I panicked.

"No, wait!" I backed away, "I have done what you want, now it's time you fulfill a request of mine. Allow me to see Carlos,"

Miles let out a rueful laugh at my request, "After what you've done, you should be glad we are letting you live." he growled in a roar and I yelped.

"Miles!" Aurora cautioned him,

The men came over to grab me and I moved back, "Please." I added, "I won't ask for anything else." I pleaded staring at Aurora.

Her eyes softened at my request,

"No way!" he yelled.

"A word," Aurora groaned, grabbing Miles with her to the side of the road to talk. I bit my lips apprehensively and watched as they gritted and argued between themselves in mushed whispers.

The rest of the men circled me making sure I don't run. It hadn't even crossed my mind lately. All I'm concerned about is making sure Carlos gets well, that's all I care about right now.

Aurora and Miles returned, "I will make you a deal." Miles said, "If you succeed in getting Carlos on his feet within a week. Not only would I set you free. I would ensure you and your brother return safely to the U.S." he paused for a bit, "Do we have a deal?"

I gulped, "And if I don't succeed?"

He doesn't answer.

I don't ponder on it anymore before he would change his mind,

"We have a deal." I uttered.

Without another word he turned and left with his men trailing behind him, Aurora and I remained in the middle of the road not moving.

"It's going to be okay." She assured me.

I nodded, hitting my tears, "Thank you." I whispered.

"You're welcome." She extended her hand and I took it, following her towards the car and as the car pulled over at the safe house, my palms began to sweat excessively.

I thought I was bold enough to look Carlos in the eyes but it turns out I'm not that strong. Where do I even start to say I'm sorry?

The door to my side opened and a guard helped me down and with a tight breath, I followed them inside.

Halfway down the hall, I realized we were heading down to Carlos's room, Aurora reached and held my hand understanding how petrified I felt.

We reached the room adjoining Carlos's and they turned to me, "Remember, you have one week." Miles reminded me in a threatful tone.

I gulped and nodded, "Call me if you need anything." Aurora said, giving my hand another tight squeeze and then letting go, she grabbed Miles and walked out of the door, leaving me with my panting hurt.

I took a moment to pull myself together before reaching and pushing the door open.

I took a deep breath and attempted to gather myself before I went in. His room was enormous and had the same presence he did. Portraits and awards stands filled the room,

I didn't get the chance to admire the room fully when I caught sight of Carlos beside the window in a...

Wheelchair!

My heart panged and leaped inside,

"Carlos?" I wheezed.

He doesn't smile, he just watched me.

He remained impassive as I slowly and reluctantly began staggering towards him. I couldn't tell how he was feeling but I could sense a combination of anger, resentment, and surprise. From the point I was I couldn't tell which emotion was winning,

He still doesn't speak.

"I-I.." My mouth opened to break the silence but I felt my throat began to tighten at the sight of. I couldn't breathe anymore and before I knew it I fell on my knees pleading to him in tears.