Chapter 39

Peter

11:58...

11:59...

12:00!

The group chat I have with Sky, Nat, Anna and Laura rings and I immediately pick up, screaming into the phone at Sky with the other girls.

"Happy birthday!"

"Aw, you guys!" She grinned. "You punctured my ear drums, but thanks nonetheless! I really appreciate that."

"You look tired, what's wrong?" I point out, seeing her droopy eyes. She forces her eyes more open and shifts her camera and glances at something in front of her.

"There's nothing wrong." She smiles reassuringly. "Just putting some last minute touches on your Christmas gifts."

"Girl, it's your birthday and you're giving us gifts?" 

"Hey, you're one to talk miss randomly gives us gifts for no reason." Sky laughs. "Plus, it's Christmas!"

"You're gonna hate my gift but I'm still super excited for tomorrow!" Nat exclaims.

"You could literally give me a torn piece of paper and I would cherish it so kindly shut up."

"That was kindly?"

"It was PG." I shake my head as I laugh at their bickering. 

"I'm gonna be honest with you guys, I don't know how to skate." I admit.

"Oh thank god, I'm not alone." Anna let out a relieved sigh. "Physical activities are just not my thing."

"Don't worry, I can teach you, it'll be so fun!" Sky exclaims.

"Counting on it, sunshine."

"Oh are we gonna get some hot cokho as well?" Laura asks. For some reason they call hot cocoa hot cokho, and every time I ask why they burst into laughter and none of them are able to speak.

"Hell yeah we are!"

"Hey, everybody smile I'm gonna take a screenshot to post." I say and we all strike a silly pose and we all end up taking screenshots.

"We're hot." Laura says and we laugh, agreeing with her. We say goodbye because we've all had a long day and we're very tired. 

I flop down in bed and scroll through my pictures with Sky to post one. Damn, we look really cute together. I choose a picture of us where we're both wearing our denim jackets and I'm hugging her tightly to my chest as I rest my cheek on her head and closed my eyes and she's laughing, a slight blush on her cheeks and nose. I post it to my Instagram story along with the screenshot, captioning it 'Happy birthday, sunshine 💖'

I stare at the photo fondly before I fall into a deep sleep.

The next day

I open my window's curtains once I've changed my clothes to see an overly excited Sky staring back at me, a wide grin on her face.