A Meadow of Sunflowers

I had the same dream again.

A distant, but familiar presence appears, and suddenly they're standing across from me in a meadow full of sunflowers underneath the sunlight.

When the figure turns around I usually wake up...

It's been nearly 12 years since I started having this recurring dream and I wasn't sure if this was a forgotten memory or a vivid figment of my imagination...

My alarm was blaring when I opened my eyes... 

A minute later I could hear a few brisk knocks at my front door.

I groaned a little and shut off my alarm before getting out of bed.

I slouched my shoulders for a moment before straightening them. I was too groggy to look through the peephole. I had a chain lock so I just opened the door ever so slightly... the shock of my sister's appearance was enough to sober me up from sleepiness.

"Kira... I'm... I'm home..." I looked at her wide-eyed for a few seconds before scurrying to open the door. I pulled her inside immediately. Her aura seemed a little different. She stumbled a little when I held onto her arm and I looked down instinctively and saw something I thought could pull me into the third dimension...

"Hannah... you're..." I spoke solemnly.

"Yes, I'm pregnant... six and a half months to be exact..."

My sister has a way of surprising everyone in the most unexpected ways...

This time it was completely unexpected.

I brought her towards the living room and she sat down on the couch while I paced back and forth a few times.

"Kira..." she spoke again while patting the top of her thighs. "I know you have a lot of questions..."

"Of course I do!" I blurted out and Hannah stared at me blankly. I then walked over and sat next to her.

"I haven't seen you in 2 years..." Hannah left for Peru as a volunteer nurse for Doctors without Borders. She went off the grid purposely. She wanted to participate in health programs somewhere else she was needed.

"I've been back for a few weeks now..."

"Who's the...?"

"The father?" she smiled bitterly and then added: "he won't be a part of my child's life." I sat there quietly for a moment longer contemplating what we would do next...

"You... don't have to worry about me... actually, shortly after my maternity leave I'll go back to work, but I... have to ask you a favour..."

"What do you need?"

"I... would like to live with you until I have to go back to work. Maybe a year at the most. I didn't want to intrude but I... my savings..." she exhaled. "Let's just say I'm more than destitute. I barely had enough money to get back to the country..."

I was bewildered... my sister, who although was a bit reckless, --never in her life asked me for help. I looked at her more seriously and sighed.

"You really know how to make an entrance..." I said and then turned to her. "Of course I'll be there for you. Don't be silly..." I reached out and held her hands together. "I'm also going to an aunt too, right?"

At that moment Hannah leaned in to hug me tightly. I could feel her chest heave up and down while she cried.

"I'm sorry this is the way we're reuniting again. I'm sorry I'm so selfish... thanks Kira..." I soothed her back gently and then touched the top of her head while she sobbed.

"It's going to be okay... you're not being selfish...don't worry... I'm here..." and for what seemed to be hours, Hannah rested her head a few times on my shoulders and neck and cried.

***

A week passed by since Hannah moved into my one-bedroom apartment. Although Hannah insisted we could share my bed I didn't want her to be uncomfortable so I slept on the couch.

Since she had nowhere to go I still wondered about her baby's father's sudden disappearance. She seemed upset about something... but I wasn't going to obsess over someone I didn't know so I decided to leave well enough alone until she spoke to me about it...

Despite my initial shock and frustration that she kept me out of the picture like this... I realized that she probably had her reasons. I decided to focus more on protecting her and her unborn child...

No one could hold Hannah down her entire life and I didn't expect to be an exception.

But after living with each other again for such a short time I realized I couldn't keep living like this. Also for the sake of my back. I wasn't in my early University years where I could contently fall asleep at my desk...

So I brought up the topic of moving. Although Hannah was stunned at first mainly because she didn't want to 'financially burden me.' I reassured her the change would be fine and that I had saved up some money...

Although there was nothing wrong with raising a child in an apartment like mine I still felt like having more space would be optimal. Especially considering my room was also my office...

*

After a few more days of living together and being her 'appointment partner,' I decided to actively search for new properties to live...

"I'm a handful, aren't I?" I looked over at Hannah digging into a tub of almond ice cream. I smiled while gently putting down the book I was reading.

"You think?" I teased while she walked over to me. She puckered her lips closely together.

"Kira..."

"Hmm..."

"Sorry and... thank you..." her face was turned when she spoke to me.

"I have to prepare for my lectures later today but... do you want to go out for dinner later?"

The prospect of food seemed to light her up. She nodded happily and clutched the sides of the ice cream container.

"I've been craving pasta. But about your--"

"Alright... there's a nice Italian restaurant nearby we can go to..." Hannah leaned over to pat the top of my leg in excitement and I chuckled. "Don't worry... there will be options for me too..." Hannah nodded once again.

"So... you haven't told me either..."

"Haven't told you what?" I was trying to concentrate on the material in front of me while she spoke.

"Are you dating anyone?"

I sat in silence for a moment. It hadn't dawned on me. Even after Hannah left for Peru almost 2 years ago I hadn't been in a new relationship with anyone.

"Not recently..." I heard Hannah sigh as she put down the tub of ice cream.

"Good... then you can help me raise this child."

"Glad to know I'm proving to be useful to you still," Hannah grinned and then playfully smacked the top of my knee.

"Let's paint together like we used to," she grabbed a hold of my hand and pulled me forward so I dropped my book on the ground. I didn't know how she could be this strong even while pregnant...

"Hold on! Hannah!" and in an instant, just like we were kids again, I was being caught up in her pace again. I laughed when she took me over to the closet where I had all of my paint supplies...