Britney and Max

Emma's POV
Vancouver
Britney's Wedding Day

It's been ninety-one days; five thousand four hundred and sixty precise minutes since I last saw Jake.
I remember how we both sent the response card for Britney's wedding invite together, he was supposed to be my plus-one, and also one of Max's groomsmen today. When Max asked Mark, he agreed to do the needful in Jake's place instead.
Last night when I found Mark, he was sitting all by himself in the backyard of the resort. The moment he stepped closer and looked in my eyes, for the first time, I saw pain.
He was hurting, and unlike the usual, he choked on his words. I tried to understand the reasons that caused this state, the dilemmas that clouded his mind, and the fears that clenched his heart.
His body was here, but his mind was elsewhere. He diffused my questions and dodged eye contact, and I could sense he was hiding something from me. I decided not to push him too much, not until the wedding at least.

Finally, it was the wedding day, and as bridesmaids, Niki and I took the responsibility of dressing Britney. We were also accompanied by Alice, Britney's maid of honour, and her closest first cousin. Alice was maybe a couple of years older than us, she was a psychiatrist, and had blue eyes too, and every time I looked at her, I was reminded of Jake.
The guys were in charge of getting Max ready as they were his groomsmen. Max's eleven-year-old younger brother, Martin, volunteered to be his best man.

It was time, and we helped Britney with her final touch up.

She looked exquisite in her white wedding dress; her threaded off shoulder lace corset fitted her body perfectly, showing off her slender figure, and hugging her curves in all right places. The plain white satin skirt that fitted her little waist flowed down her legs with just the right flair. Her hair locks were curled and let loose as they partially covered her bareback, and the braided crown hairdo held her veil in place.

She looked like a dream!

A slight knock at the door got us out from our trance. The room was in pin-drop silence as we all got captivated by Britney's bridal grace. Her cousin Alice was teary-eyed, while Niki embraced me in admiration, reminding how heartwarming weddings could be. She sure was the next bride amongst us.

As we opened the door, we saw Britney's parents gasping in awe of their daughters' beauty.
They all shared a little familiar moment, as we stepped outside, waiting for them to join us.
As bridesmaids, we wore pastel-pink long slit dresses, that we clubbed with soft woollen shawls in the same colour. Alice wore a similar style; only the colour of her dress was lavender-pink instead.

As Britney's dad led and walked her down the aisle, we followed behind them. Alice and Martin were the first to join, followed by Niki and Barry, and then finally, Mark and me. As Mark held my hand, I could see the same anxiety in his eyes. I decided to talk to him later in the day today.
The groom's team chose to wear the same grey classic tuxedos with waistband and peaked lapels accompanied by maroon silk bow ties.
The alter arch was covered in white and pink flowers, and as it overlooked the vast, beautiful lake below, the water sparkled, emanating bright reflections of the soft sunrays that fell on them.
Max looked handsome as ever, in his tall demeanour at the altar, his eyes were glued on Britney before he gave her his hand and made her stand by his side.

They both blissfully accepted each other as man and wife, and their first kiss as a married couple invited innumerable cheers and gasps from the audience.

A reception followed the wedding, and after Max and Britney shared their first dance, the floor was open for everyone to join.
Mark asked me for a dance, I accepted as he held me in his arms, and my body swayed in the rhythm of the soft music playing in the background.

"What's wrong Mark? You look tensed?  Please tell me. I am starting to get worried about you." I asked him in a concerning tone, as he held me firmly, in his dancing embrace.