Aurora Borealis

Emma's POV

I was now in my room and was attempting to relax my popping nerves. At first, there were so many revelations that my little heart would take time to digest, and on top of it, I just saw Jake shirtless.

I was lusting over his strong muscles and toned torso, that was partly wet with droplets, probably from the shower he took.
On top of it, his masculine cologne smelled so good. I could get used to sniffing his smell every single day for the rest of my life.

Clearly, what we had was way more than an average professional relationship. He looked out for me and iwas genuinely concerned about my safety. He followed me here even after knowing that he might get stuck on this island. He didn't care about anything else and still came; I felt touched by his gesture. Even though his idea of stalking me gave me the creeps initially, but the sincerity in his eyes showed his good intentions.

I would be lying if I say I wasn't happy after Jake stated that he is not dating Erica. However, I felt a stabbing pain, the moment he revealed that he had slept with her before and especially when he said he didn't believe in relationships. I was in conflict with myself, my heart and mind in complete opposition of each other.

He most definitely is not your type. My mind reprimanded my awestruck heart.

But why does he look so desirable? My heart protested.

You will never fit in his world. You strive for stability and commitment, while he is the stark opposite.

But still I feel sincerity in his touch and genuinity in his eyes? My heart countered.

If you are sane enough, you will stop this madness from turning into something more. You won't be able to survive another heartbreak. My mind warned.

I just shut my eyes and ears hard, attempting to stop the crazy conflict from dwelling inside me. I opened my room's window for some fresh air. It was still raining, but the mesmerising view from our cottage made me forget everything. I was in love with this place. After spending some time in my room, I decided to step out and cook dinner. It was still five pm, but it was completely dark outside. The days were really short here.

I cooked us some tuna sandwiches, completely making do with whatever ingredients we had available. I could hear Jake had been on back to back calls in his room. After some time, he entered the living room, still on the phone. The moment he saw me in the kitchen, he decided to hang up his phone.

"Mark, stay on top of this project until I return, be my proxy for our meetings tomorrow. I will call you later." He stated before disconnecting the call.

"Hey, I made us dinner, go sit, and I will be out in a minute." I neatly placed the sandwiches on a clean plate. Jake led us out, and we were now comfortably eating.

"Was that Mark on the phone? I think I should have informed him about my absence to work tomorrow." I stated genuinely. I worked in his team; he should know if I take a leave.

"You don't need to inform anything to anyone at work unless you are here with me". Jake's cold retort came as a surprise.

I looked at him with a raised eyebrow, figuring what was with this sudden authority? I scanned his face to read his expressions, but found nothing. I decided to let it pass and nodded silently.

"You seem to be close to Mark. I saw you in his company all week." He whispered, while slowly swallowing his food.

"Yes, he is a nice guy and is extremely helpful. I am glad he makes me feel comfortable."

"Too comfortable." Jake stated.

I was curious again. Jake sounded different.
Oh, God! Was he jealous of Mark?