Craving a hug

Jake's POV
Los Angeles

"Mom, I am concerned about your safety. You should consider moving back. It's getting dangerous."

"I told you I am not ready yet. Relax, I can take care of myself. I am so glad you took out time to visit me." She gave me a warm hug.

I felt so relaxed meeting her. I missed the family bond; ever since dad left, nothing felt the same anymore.

"So, how's Erica doing?"

"She has been better. I am worried about her."

"Of course, darling. You have a good heart. But I think you should keep your distance from her; this girl is bad news." Her expressions were blank, but her words had weight. She meant what she said.

"I know what I am doing, mom. I have a bad feeling about the Murials too. But I feel what happened with Erica was wrong and unfair."

"Murials? Are you talking about Ben?"

"Yes. I don't trust him."

"Hmm, I see. Well, in my opinion, I don't see him as a threat. We go way back; we were together in college. All three of us were batchmates: Ben, your father and I. He was competitive for sure, but I think it has always been harmless." She tried to explain. It was odd to see her defend the situation so much, I just shared my opinion, but nothing had been normal in this family since months now.

"I don't know mom. Time will tell I guess." I shrugged.

"His daughter, though, has serious issues. Ben lost his wife when Erica was just three. It must have been difficult for her, she was a lonely child, and she now lashes out at everyone trying to put a brave face." She re-iterated and warned me again about Erica.

"I get it, mom. And there is nothing between us that should worry you. Erica is not the one for me."

"Really? Then who is?" She asked in a curious tone trying to read my expressions.

I smiled warmly at her.

"Her name is Emma." I had never introduced a girl to my mother before.

"Emma? Who is she, never heard of her before?"

"Yes, I met her only recently, but she is amazing. Very beautiful, inside out."

"Oh God! I am so happy for you, Jake. I really am looking forward to meeting her. This is the best news I have heard ever since your dad left us." She hugged me tightly, I could hear her meek sobs, dad's passing away did create a void in her soul, she had never been the same. How I wished, I could make it better for her.

"I know mom. I will get her to meet you as soon as all this is over."

"Jake you should put all this behind. You should move on and live your life.  Whatever happened is in the past. Sometimes I feel scared, I have already lost your father, I cannot afford to lose you too." I could see mom's reasons but I felt determined nevertheless.

"I can never put this behind mom. Not until I get to know who was responsible for his accident. I can never live in peace, knowing dad's murderer is out there. He deserves justice."

"Oh. My boy. How I wish this nightmare ends for all of us."

"It will, mom. I promise."

As they say, no matter your age, you will always need your mom. After dad, I felt an overwhelming urge to take care of her. I hoped that she moves on and lives a happy life.

***

"What time do we meet him?"

"We will land by one pm, and we can head straight to the meeting location," Augustin said.