Ultimate Truth

Jake's POV continued...

I wasn't upset that my mother lied to me. I was upset that I would never be able to believe her again.

Today, I lost both my parents. I felt like an orphan who had nobody to depend on, nobody to look up to.

All through the night, I kept revisiting the evidence that Emma had gathered.

My mother killed my father. I don't think I will ever be able to live with this. She killed every fond memory that I ever had in the name of family.

I screamed, I cried, I flipped, and I broke down, but nothing was subsiding my pain, nothing was helping to make it go away. The feeling of immense loss and suffering just kept building inside me. Every passing minute felt like a lifetime.

Soon it was dawn; the first few rays were now illuminating the sky as the morning twilight herald the beginning of a new day.
Unlike before, unfortunately enough, it didn't bring me new hope, it didn't re-instil my faith, and it didn't assure me of better days.

The door of the study swung open. I heard footsteps. I knew who it could be. My back was facing the entrance as I held dad's picture in my hand.

"Jake?"

I closed my eyes, controlling my anger, as this was indeed the moment of truth. The ultimate truth.

"Jake? What happened?"

"Mother! Should I still be calling you that?" I retorted in a sharp tone. My back was still facing her; I could not summon the courage to turn around and look at her sinful face.

"What happened, son? The living room was a mess, and Olivia told me that you were locked in the study all night." I could hear her approaching closer, and seconds later, she reached out to touch my shoulder from behind, in an attempt to turn me around.

"Don't you dare touch me. Remove your murderous hands off me." I yelled while jerking her hand off as I turned around. The surrounding walls threw back my voice, as my loud echo jolted her in shock.

"Murder? What are you talking about Jake?" She stuttered, and the nervousness in her voice confirmed my doubts all the more.

"Don't play innocent. What did you want? Money? Fame? He was letting you go, and you still killed him. How could you??" I was screaming like a mad man; I jerked her shoulders and pushed her before breaking every single thing that I could put my hand on.

"Jake! Jake! Jacob! Stop it! For heaven's sake, stop it! What the hell is wrong with you? Calm down, will you?" She screamed back as she attempted to stop me from spiralling down on the vengeful road that I thought I had left for good.

I took deep breathes, my pulse was racing, and I felt excruciating pain in my head. I just couldn't contain it anymore.

"You want calm? Fine, I can give you calm. Let's talk. Sit. Come, let's have a chat. Where do you want me to begin?" I attempted to channel my energy in finally getting my answers. I wanted to hear her say it in her own words. I wanted her to confess.

"What are you saying, Jake? Be clear." Her lips were quivering. Was it the fear of the madness I just displayed? Or the fact that she knew in her guts that I now knew what she did?

There was only one way to find out.

"Ok. I will be clear mother. Please answer me. Why did you kill my father?" I spat it out, loud and clear, looking straight in her eyes.