He found her

Jake's POV
Lofoten Island

I was meeting Augustin at the hotel reception to meet Windson's ex-board of director, that was when I received a call from Brett.

"Boss, I am in Lofoten. Ms. Carter had left for a hike earlier today." He said in a low voice.

"Ok no problem. Just ensure she is safe and sound." I ordered. I found Augustin was giving me a curious look.

"Umm.. Boss I don't think it was a good idea to go on a hike today. The weather department here had indicated a grave thunderstorm, and yet she went uphill."

"What? Are you still trailing her?"

"Boss.. I cannot seem to find her. I was trailing her but suddenly I lost sight of her." He muttered under his breath.

"Have you lost your mind Brett? How could you lose her? Your job was to keep an eye on her at all times." I reprimanded him.

"I tried but it was all chaotic..."

"Look for her, damn it! I will call her and talk to her, you must ensure getting her back to her cottage safely." I was getting extremely worried for Emma.

Without thinking twice, I dialled her number. I didn't care what she would think or say, she had to head back down. Her safety was my utmost priority.

Voicemail.

Crap. I called back Brett again.

"You better look for her Brett and find her at any cost, or help me God I don't know what the fucking hell would I do."

I was pacing up and down the reception, running my hand in my hair. Brett explained that the town got on high alert due to serious impending weather situation, and the news forecast on all channels were asking all it's residents to stay indoors, ergo in a sudden panic, all the commercial sites and activities in Lofoten were shut abruptly. The island was about to go on lockdown. In the middle of all the chaos, Brett lost sight of Emma as she was already hiking up the mountain.

"Find her. Find her now." I demanded.

"Yes. Yes Boss."

This girl attracted trouble wherever she went.
How could she be so naive?

"Are you ok Jake?" Augustin gave me a serious look.

"I think I would need to head to Lofoten. Can we meet this guy some other day?" Augustin was taken aback at my request.

"We have been chasing him for a meeting since weeks Jake. He is an important lead for our investigation." Augustin tried to reason with me.

I nodded. My jaw stiffened at the thought of not getting to rush to Emma.

What if she was in some serious trouble?

"Relax Jake. Brett is my finest employee. He will find her. Trust me." Augustin gave me a pat on my shoulder, assuring me that Emma would be fine.

"Hope so, Augustin."

While on my way to the meeting, I asked my manager to check on the available transit options to Lofoten, just in case. I wanted to be prepared for worse. I was praying that Brett could find Emma in time before it was too late. With extreme difficulty and anxiety, I, along with Augustin, made it through our meeting.

Our contact at Windson revealed shocking information. He was kicked out of the company amidst politics and plotting, and as part of his revenge for all the unfairness, he agreed to talk to us.