Aftermath

Emma's POV

I could not sleep a wink all night. I dreaded the idea of leaving Jake behind in such a time of need, but I couldn't intrude in his family matters any further. No matter how guilty I felt, it was the right thing to do.

I already took the liberty of investigating his parent's discord and ultimately what led to his father's demise, without his knowledge or consent. I couldn't convince my mind, to stay and pry any further.

I have been calling Jake non-stop for more than an hour now, but his phone was getting straight to voicemail. At last, I gave up. I took my phone and dialled another number instead.

"Hi Augustin, it's Emma. Sorry, I keep calling you for favours, but I cannot get a hold on Jake. I am worried. Do you know where he is?" My heart was racing in anticipation. I could not even imagine what would have happened after he confronted his mother.

"Hey, Emma. It's fine. Actually, yes I knew where he was. I just bailed him out. He got arrested earlier in the morning today."

"What? Why?? What happened? Is he fine?"

"No, he wasn't fine at all. He broke into Murial's residence and beat the shit out of Ben Murial. There were a lot of broken bones and a hell lot of blood, thank his stars or yours, I am just grateful he didn't kill him."

"Did Jake get hurt too?" My heart dropped in my stomach. I started looking for my purse as I intended to head straight out. I had to meet Jake, immediately.

"No, Jake was not hurt. However, Ben Murial won't be able to walk for a very long time."

"God! Why didn't I see this coming? I don't understand, what about the security at Murial's?"

"I think they let him in because he was familiar, and later when they heard screams, they informed the cops."

"Where is he now? I am on my way, just tell him to talk to me."

"He is gone, Emma. He left the moment we stepped out of the police district."

"Where? Where did he go?"

"No idea."

"And His mom? How is she? Where is she?"

"Not good. She just reported to the NYPD district office. As we speak, she is getting her statement recorded against Ben Murial. She has decided to tell the cops everything."

I couldn't find the words. I was speechless for a minute. So much happened in less than twelve hours of me leaving Jake alone. Somehow, now I feel I should have stayed behind.

"Emma? Are you there?"

"Yes, I am here. I am just shocked."

"What were you expecting? This had to happen, at least Sir would finally get the justice he deserves, and he will rest in peace now." I remembered Jake telling me about Augustin's loyalty to his family, especially his father.

"This wouldn't have been possible if you didn't help me investigate. Thanks a lot for that. And now please help me find Jake too. I just want to be by his side; he needs me." My voice was desperate, I almost begged him.

"I understand, but give him time kiddo. He is grieving. I am sure he will return soon. Give it a day."

I couldn't say anything further, I agreed and disconnected the phone, but I could not find the patience to just sit and wait.

***

"He is not here." Aunt Oliva's cold tone fell on my ears.