Cordial as Friends

Emma's POV
Her residence.

In wee hours of the morning, Jake and I were curled up in each other's arms. We had been talking for hours.

"So, you are saying that Erica's accident may have something to do with your father's death?"

"Yes," he whispered.

"I am so sorry, Jake, I can only imagine how hard all this must be for you."

I was now snuggling into the crook of his neck, while my arms were wrapped around his muscular torso. I attempted to comfort him with the warmth of my embrace; I knew he was worried.

"Just know this always, I am here for you, no matter how tough the situation be." I stuttered meekly, as his addictive scent filled my nostrils.

Jake gave me a soft kiss on my forehead, and after a lingering pause, he suddenly held back as I could feel his posture stiffened. He was now silent, and he had that look on his face.

"What are you thinking? I know this look."

"Really? What look?"

"I know this is your guilt face; you had the same expression the night I got attacked at the club. Are you regretting something?"

He took a deep breath. He tried to dodge my questions and looked a bit shaken by my ability to see right through him.

"Come on, Jake, talk to me."

"It's nothing, Emma. I just feel bad that you are now part of my crazy world. You are too precious for me, and you don't deserve any of this." He sighed. He finally spat out the truth that was weighing him down, regret was evident on his face.

"Hold on. Please. Don't.do.this. You cannot ruin this. We are equals Jake, and since you have always looked out for me, I own every right to stand by you in such pressing times. I am here for you."

His brows furrowed, and an intense, debilitating sensation of anxiety and fear overwhelmed his otherwise composed self.

I cupped his face forcing him to look into my eyes.
"I care for you, Jake. My heart couldn't be at peace the whole day, thinking you are in some emergency that I had no idea about."

"I am so sorry, Emma. I know I put you through a lot today."

"Hey, don't apologise, I understand. But just don't regret anything either. I am stronger than you think.
Trust me. But don't you dare push me away, I am tired of the back and forth between us."

"You know if they could target Erica, then they can harm you too? It's only a matter of time, they will know about you too. I just cannot risk it."

"It doesn't matter; nothing matters when I am with you. I know you won't let anyone hurt me. I trust you with my life." I emphasised on every word, as I meant it from the oceans of my heart.

He was still shaking his head in disagreement. Doubt and guilt still donned his face.

Determined to reason with him, I continued,
"Look. Chances are, I will still be able to survive these threats Jake, but I won't be able to accept it if you distance yourself from me. Again." I inched closer, if that was even possible, "it might seem like an easier option to you, but I would rather be threatened on my life than stay away from you."

I felt drained, I had tears welling up in my eyes, and no matter how hard I tried, they were now rolling down my cheeks.

Jake immediately closed the gap between us; he held me in his arms again and kissed away every drop on my face. His kisses now made their way to my jawline, as his soft hands caressed the length of my hair.