The Ball

Emma's POV

"May I have the pleasure of a dance with you miss?" A husky voice fell on my ears, and I was nothing better than a bundle of nerves.

I didn't know how to respond, I didn't know how to dance at a ball, and I could not say for sure if I knew who the man in question was. Part of me felt that might be this was Mark playing tricks with me. After a long pause, reluctantly so, I nodded and took my chance.

I wore my mask and took his hand. He held it firmly making me walk along with him to almost the centre of the hall. The moment we reached the centre, I could feel the lights focussed on us. I was a nervous wreck, totally oblivious of the intentions of my masked dance partner. I couldn't recognise anyone present due to the concealed faces and glaring lights but could still feel their stares rubbing over my skin.

"I umm.. don't know how to dance in a ball." I barely mumbled. I was considering to back out, and perhaps the man beside me sensed my ordeal. He immediately tightened his grip on me and whispered, "trust me."

The soft music played, and my disguised partner offered me both his hands stepping closer. The moment I took them, he closed the space between us, he placed one of his hand in my left hand and my other hand on his shoulder. He wrapped his other hand around my waist, gripping me firmly in his dancing embrace.

The moment he held me closer, I could smell a familiar cologne, this strong scent reminded me of someone, and as soon as I was brought back to realisation, I had shivers run down my spine. I felt numb and confused. His touch on my bare back made me dizzy, and I could relate to this feeling. He felt familiar. This was precisely how I felt back in Corsica.

Taken aback, I tried to look into his face and saw those oceanic blue eyes. I could never mistake them with anybody else.

"Jake?" I stuttered nervously.

He blinked but didn't utter a word. He twirled me around, making me match his steps as the music flowed through the hall.
I was now turned around with my bare back against his chest, and he was moving in small steps, making me m sway in his rhythm. His fingers caressed my arms, making my heart skip a beat. Air escaped my lungs and was barely holding up.

He turned me around again to make me face him. This dance was nothing ordinary. I could feel both our hearts were racing; his breath on my skin and his strong masculine smell melting me inside. The moves were close and sensual. His touch and hold was demanding, like he was marking his territory, letting the world know that I belonged in his arms

I could now feel everyone's eyes on us, as we were the only two dancing gracefully in each other's embrace right in the centre of the hall.

I was stunned on how amazingly Jake made me dance with him, somebody from far could call it a rehearsed performance. But it wasn't. It was all real and spontaneous, and I didn't know how our bodies could sync with each other's rhythm so perfectly.

I just continued to follow his lead and held up the remaining show for the sake of avoiding myself any embarrassment in front of a hall full of significant people. The murmurs and stares were becoming prominent by the second.

A thought to push him back and run away from his grip crossed my mind.
Why did he choose to dance with me? Where was his vain girlfriend? And where the hell was Mark? I had all kind of questions creeping my head.

Suddenly in a move, Jake pulled me closer to him. His head was now close to my ears while my face was buried on his broad chest. I couldn't help but close my eyes for a moment, surrendering in his embrace and consuming the sensation. I felt his lips momentarily brushing my earlobes, and he whispered in my ears "You are looking gorgeous Emma. And only I could take the liberty of dancing with you tonight". He declared in a deep voice, alerting every nerve in my body.

I stepped back to look at him, totally confused about the mixed feelings I had been getting from him since days now. He closed the gap and bent me along with him, his face inches away from mine. He paused for a bit before heaving a deep breath. He sniffed against my skin, inhaled my scent and gave me a peck on my cheeks before stepping back again.

The music had now stopped, and suddenly everyone around us applauded our performance.

I thanked the heavens above for keeping the theme of tonight's party as the masquerade ball, at least nobody could recognise me. The moment Jake left my embrace, he removed his mask and looked straight in my eye. He wasn't hiding it anymore. His intentions roared louder than the chattering applause. I shivered under his gaze, thousands of emotions stirring in the pit of my stomach.

Without looking back in his direction, I just turned around and fled on the spot. When I was almost at the exit, I could see the crowd was closing on him, and he was now surrounded by a pool of people, mainly girls, but his eyes were still fixed on me.

Without thinking twice, I ran straight into my room. I was still breathless and was trying to gulp in everything that happened tonight. I thought I would eventually erase Jake and his memories of my heart, but he never ceases to surprise me with his actions.

He was so confusing, what did he even want from me? Was it all a sick game? But then why did his eyes look honest? Why did his touch feel sincere?

I just couldn't help thinking about all the possibilities between us. His hands on my skin dominoed back to back vibrations of untamed feelings, and unknowingly my heart consented without a single care of being right or wrong. Deep inside, I was waiting for him to claim what rightfully belonged to him, but he was already committed to somebody else, and that made me feel like the outrageous other woman, a tag that I would never adorn even if it were the end of the world.

This circus must end, for once and for all. He had a girlfriend and had a good history with countless women; he was not even my type.

I changed into my nightwear and saw my phone. There were two messages from Mark.

"Hey, Emma. I am so sorry I couldn't make it to the ball with you tonight. Big Boss personally called me to attend one of his important business meeting for the Norway project on his behalf. I had to leave almost immediately and then realised my battery was dead, so I couldn't let you know in time."

"I think I will be heading straight to the airport after the meeting, sorry again for tonight. See you in the office on Monday. Take Care and have a great time in Lofoten. Stay safe."

Jake sent Mark for an important meeting right before the gala ball. It sounded weird given everything was wrapped up for this deal already. Last-minute meeting just seemed a bit off.

That's when his words echoed in my ear again, "Only I could take the liberty of dancing with you tonight.."

Oh, my God! Did he send Mark away on purpose?