Push and Pull

Emma's POV

It was the weekend already, and I barely slept a wink last night. Jake was getting under my skin. I was irked with his behaviour; his actions confused my sane mind. I hated this push and pull with him.

After hogging on eggs and bacon for breakfast, I took a quick shower and wore a yellow floral dress with beige flats completing my look. It was already noon, and I had plans to meet Niki and Britney at the mall.

I reached fifteen minutes early and waited for them in one of the coffee houses on the ground floor. Soon, they both arrived, and we placed our orders.

"Wow. Norway looks like a beautiful place." Britney was scrolling through pictures of the place on her phone.

"And you know it's the best time to visit Norway now, especially with the Northern Lights." She added excitedly.

"Of course, it is one of the most romantic destinations in the world. You never know you may find your prince charming there." Niki piped in.

"Did you miss the memo where I mentioned that it was an official trip? Sorry, Prince Charming - not going to happen."

"You never know Emma, what if Mr CEO becomes your saviour again and you find your prince charming in him?" Britney butted in and gave Niki a high five.

"Guys, can you stop obsessing over him? I could barely stand him. He is nothing but an egoistic asshole." I stuck my tongue out to both of them, and they burst out laughing.

"Yes, we know how you love to hate him. But my bets are still high and up on him." Britney was such a tease. Ever since I told these two about the club night encounter, they had been nonstop ranting about Jake.

"Please, you know he is a womaniser, right? Girls on his arm change faster than the days of the week."

"Yes, but lately he has been quite inactive. At least that's what the gossip-mongering paparazzi say." Niki seemed so amused by this whole situation. For them, my love life suddenly became more entertaining than a soap opera.

"Whatever. Can we please change the topic?" I insisted.

"Okay, as you wish. Let's discuss Mark. How's he? You have quite many admirers, I must say." Britney gave me a dreamy look.

"What about him now?" I got irked at his mention. I had huge respect for Mark and saw him as a good friend.

"Well, he might be one of your many suitors Emma, and he is a hottie too. At least his Instagram pictures seem to say so." Niki passed her phone with Mark's profile open on the app.

"No way. Mark is a colleague, a friend and I respect him for his work. I can learn a lot from him. I don't see him that way."

"No, please don't friendzone him already. Give him a chance at least." They both giggled again. I gave them literal death stares, and they finally took the cue. After chatting about other random things for almost an hour, we decided to shop.

As per the program details that Mark gave me, we had dinner parties virtually every night of the next week. A big charity gala event with a particular dress code on Friday evening, that is, the last day of the one-week long agenda. The gala event was a masquerade ball, and I immediately decided to think of an excuse and give it a pass.

I was feeling quite edgy attending such high-end events; it was totally out of my comfort zone. Anyways, my girlfriends made me shop for all the events, just in case. We spent a great day, and I was exhausted when I reached home. I still had to pack, but before I did, I video called my parents and updates them on my upcoming plans.