Niki's thing(s)

Niki's POV
Her Residence

"Oh, God. Nate, can you just hurry up with the menu? I thought you had it all sorted."

"Relax Niki, don't rush everything, we are on track for tonight's party." Nate gave me annoying stares before he slumped on the couch in exhaustion.

"Hi, babe. I have been calling you non stop since morning. Where have you been?" A loud, shrieky voice fell on our ears. Jessica strode into the living room, straight into Nate's arms.

Another crazy in the house. Nate should send her his minute by minute memo. Control Freak!
I muttered to myself as soon as I saw her clinging to Nate and claim his mouth, unannounced.

"Did you say something, Niki?" She retorted in an interrogatory tone.

"Me? Nope. Nothing. Sup Jessica? All set for the party?" I asked her with the fakest smile plastered on my face.

"Yes, absolutely. I am wearing this exclusive Ralph Lauren gown from their latest autumn collection. After all, somebody has to take care of the glamour quotient." She boasted.

"Ya right. We are all so lucky to have you in our lives." My sarcasm coated words miffed her a little as almost instantly Nate's angry stares became my guest. Jessica walked close and started looking at the centrepieces that I was arranging.

"So tell me, Niki. Have you invited that sadist friend of yours too? Nate's ex I mean? That poor girl with a broken heart?"

"Her name is Emma.. and you better...."

"Oh, yes, Emma. Haven't heard any of her sob stories lately? How is she doing?"

"She is far from a broken heart Jessica. She is dating someone and is blissfully happy. You better stay clear from her; she is none of your business." I spat back at her. Nobody calls my best friend a sob story. Not under my watch.

"Really? Who is she dating?" Nate suddenly became interested as he questioned me instantly.

"He is invited too. You know what? I would love you both to meet him tonight." I suddenly had a grin on my face. I felt amused imagining Jake meeting the both of them.

"Who cares babe? Must be some loser. Have you ever seen Emma? I wonder what you saw in her in the first place." Jessica insinuated another insult at Emma.

I was fuming with anger and was about to show Jessica her place, that's when Nate gestured me to calm down. He came closer to me and whispered, "Let it go please", almost with pleading eyes.

"You better put a filter on her mouth dear brother, because if you won't then next time, mark my words, I will," I whispered angrily and left him alone with his full of drama girlfriend.

Jessica wore me off in more ways than I could take. I was already very nervous about Barry meeting my parents, and here she was hissing about others, poking her nose in places far from her interest.

I calmed myself a bit and decided to call my girlfriend. Talking to her alone made me feel better.

"Hi, Girlfriend. Hope you are both ready for tonight?"

"Hey Niki, yes Jake and I will be there latest by nine. I can come by early too if you need any help."

"No, it's fine. I have everything under control. Just nervous about making Barry meet my parents."