The Girl with a Broken Heart

Jake's POV
Richmond Corp. Headquarters, NYC

I left that conference room without looking back. I did not had the courage to stay or be around her even for a second more. Before turning to work this morning, I couldn't have imagined even in my most implausible dream that destiny would get me face to face with her again, sitting right in my office, attending one of my biggest victories at work.

Emma, the girl I met in Corsica.
The girl with a broken heart.

The girl I lost, and could not find. She was sitting right across me, her angelic face donned with shock and confusion.

When she ran away sobbing, losing from my grip in Corsica, I knew nothing about her, except for the fact that her name was Emma. I didn't even know her full name and was not sure if we lived in the same country, let alone the same city.

Her quivering lips, spoilt mascara and deserted spirit told the tale of her broken heart. I had no clue of what exactly led her to such a sorry state, yet when I watched her curl up like a ball, sad and fragile, crying her heart out, I felt something inexplainable for her.

I had this strong urge to comfort her and help her through whatever she was facing. I never felt this drawn to a stranger. She was beautiful, sure, but I think it was her innocence, the serenity in her eyes that made her stand out.

The moment we parted from the kiss, I immediately missed her touch, craved for her soft lips and longed to take her slender body in my embrace again. I was amazed at how perfectly she fit in my arms, as if she belonged there and nowhere else.

I was not done with her, I had to discover a lot more.
Even though I had been with more women than one could even count, nobody ever touched my heart the way Emma did. I had many flings, but I never got emotionally invested in any of them. That kiss with her was the best kiss of my life.

Deep down I knew, her act of passion was an outcome of immense pain and wrongness that she felt due to some asshole's action.
I knew she was grieving and maybe was a bit drunk too, and for her, this kiss might turn into regret the next morning. May be she won't even remember it.

What hit me next changed my life ever since. When my heart fluttered and longed for Emma, I got an emergency call from my mother.

"Jake.. it's your dad" Her trembling voice barely stuttered, leaving me in shambles.

My father had met with an accident. He couldn't survive and was declared dead on the spot.

That day every thing I owned, believed or was bestowned with, was snatched away mercilessly. I felt devastated in thousand different ways, as God decided to take away my biggest support.

His love for his family, and the community as a whole reflected in his acts of kindness. I did not even get a chance to hug him one last time. I did not even get to say goodbye.

And the next thing I knew was, I suddenly got pressured with a lot of responsibilities.

My mother was inconsolable, and Richmond Corp desperately needed a leader. The moment I joined office, a lot of mysteries started unfolding. It's been seven months since, and still my heart yelped in pain whenever I remembered him.

Suddenly a knock at my cabin door distracted me from my thoughts. It was Mark.

"Hello Boss, hope I am not interrupting."