Handling the ex

Emma's POV

We both woke up with a slight knock on our door.
Jake went ahead to answer it. It was Aunt Olivia.

"Son, your mom is ready to leave. She has requested your presence."

"Sure. I will be right outside."

Jake turned around to look at me; my eyes still fluttering open. "Hey, you can sleep in. I won't be long". He gave me a quick kiss before heading out.

It didn't take me long to doze off again. I was then again woken up by a series of soft pecks on my cheeks.

"Good Morning, sleepyhead. It's almost ten am." Jake whispered as he gave me the warmest smile, and then pointed towards a neat breakfast table set in the dining area of the room.

"Crap. I slept again. Weekends usually do that to me." I pouted at Jake, to which he chuckled and then placed a neat table cloth on my laps.

"Are you serving me breakfast?"

"Yes, I prepared for you myself, sit back and just enjoy your breakfast in bed". He paced back and forth from the bed to the table, while serving me some hot coffee along with a plate full of eggs, toast and sausages.

"You are spoiling me."

"You deserve nothing but the best Emm. Now come on, eat." His eyes were full of love and warmth.

I took a couple of bites, and eventually, Jake broke the silence again, "Emma, I need to talk to you about something."

"What is it?" I was confused, my mouth still full of food.

"You remember my meeting with Erica the other day? She had invited us for lunch today. She wanted to make up for her bad behaviour and start afresh with you."

"Oh.." That's all I could mutter.

"We can always not go, anything that you feel comfortable with, your choice." Jake looked at me with hopeful eyes. I hadn't forgotten Erica's insults, but since Jake was already going through so much, it was only fair if I gave her another chance, for his sake.

"I think we should go."

"Are you sure? Last time I checked you hated the guts of that girl." Jake looked surprised at my decision.

"Yes. I still don't trust her, but we should never be too quick to judge someone. If she matters to you as a friend, I want to give her another chance."

Jake gave me a warm smile again, "Thank you, Emma. I appreciate this. We will leave in a couple of hours. Meanwhile, I have a few urgent calls to attend. I will see you in the living room, sharp at noon."

After finishing my breakfast, I took my own sweet time getting ready. As I got out of the shower and was changing in the room, I heard footsteps right outside.
For a minute, I thought that may be someone was in the room already, or either someone was just outside, and soon there will be a knock at the door.

However, when nothing happened, I decided to take a peek. I quickly got dressed and went outside to check who it was, but only found long empty corridors with no single person in sight.

My imagination was genuinely running wild.

***

Jake and I were heading to meet Erica. The entire ride was busy as he had back to back calls, and not to mention, a dozen bodyguards were following us too.

Will it always be this way? Will we ever have privacy?

I was taken out of my thoughts, as Jake softly held my hand, "it will get better, Emma. I assure you".
He wrapped his arms around me, and I just looked at him in shock.