Epilogue - Part One

A few months after Made in the A.M came out, One Direction decided to go on hiatus.

It was a decision that was made unamiously and had been thought over for months, even before the album had been released.

Niall and I had talked over the possible breakup of the band several times before it had actually happened, and each time he had expressed how upset he was over it, but he knew it was best for them to have a break after not having one for close to five years.

I always tried to help him focus on his own music more — something he had been incredibly excited about lately — and help him try to relax by playing golf and going to the gym.

Of course, I was always here for him to do things with as well, especially since Niall is no stranger to wanting to take me out on dates.

I personally hated to see the band breakup. I knew it meant seeing less of the boys around, and I had grown so accustomed to seeing them almost everyday.

After spending three months on tour with them, and being at their flat more than my own, it almost felt weird to see them all packing up their flat. The boxes were piled high one day, and the next they were gone – all shoved into different moving vans and on their way to all of our individual new flats we had bought.

Niall and I had decided to move in together once we were informed the flat was going to be sold. It seemed like a great idea, and it only seemed sensible since we were both so invested in our relationship. Although we can't see the future, we've been through so much together now that we're pretty sure we won't have to deal with any breakup anytime soon.

Since then, Niall and I have had our two year anniversary together. We were able to celebrate on vacation in France, a country Niall has known that I've wanted to go to for so long. It was truly beautiful and such an amazing vacation, but it made me nostalgic when I thought back on our one year anniversary that we spent surrounded by our friends.

The last time we saw everyone was at Liam and Harmony's wedding.

I had never seen her look so beautiful, so radiant as she was in her wedding gown. It was obvious from the very beginning that they were in love and meant for each other.

Fate has a funny way of working things out. It's so interesting to think that they might have never met had it not been for me being in the hospital.

Harmony had given birth a couple months before the wedding to a handsome baby boy named Jacob. He was the absolute cutest baby boy, having inherited Liam's brown hair and facial structure and Harmony's blue eyes and curly hair type.

He had definitely captured the hearts of Liam and Harmony immediately upon arrival. They were even happier than they had been on their wedding day. I had to admit, seeing them with Jacob made me want one of my own with Niall one day, but not quite yet. I knew we needed to wait until the time was right for us.

Since then, we hadn't seen any of the others.

Zayn has been distant ever since he left One Direction initially. At first, he and Niall kept in contact for a while and even called and talked every once in a while, but that tapered off to maybe once a month, and then to never.

Of course, Niall and I still wish him the best in all his endeavors, but it's clear that he wants complete singularity and independence from the band, and that's okay. I'm just happy that I got the chance to know him and watch him grow as a person.

As for Louis, Niall and I had been surprised to discover that he had a baby on the way as well. Once we found out all the details, we were even more shocked to find out it wasn't by Eleanor, and that he and Eleanor still had plans to get back together soon.

Overall, I'm definitely happy for him, especially since he has seemed so happy over the birth of Freddie, but he, like Zayn, has been somewhat distant lately.

Harry and Ana had perhaps been the closest to us since the separation, but not for the reasons you might think.

Of course, Ana and I were still close best friends, but most of our conversations now centered around her and Harry's relationship problems.

I don't know what happened or where they went wrong, but one day they were good, and the next they were at each other's throats. Great one second then bad the next. It was hard to keep it straight sometimes whether or not they were on good terms at the current moment, but it never took long for one of them to inform Niall or I.

Because of this, it was always difficult to invite them over. We weren't always sure how to juggle their arguments, especially since I would be inclined to side with Ana and Niall with Harry. We never wanted to get in the middle of it. After all, maybe if we kept arguing away from us, it would keep us from arguing.

Niall must have been able to sense how stressed I've been lately because he suggested we go on a picnic at the beach. I agreed, deciding to lock my phone and try and focus on Niall and I for once.

The sound of the waves crashing against the sand made me feel envigorated, and nothing made me happier than seeing Niall smiling back at me on the picnic blanket.

His presence is just comforting, enlightening, and empowering. I've never loved someone as much as I love Niall, and it makes me so happy to know that he was by my side through everything the past two years.

Perhaps that's why the tears are already streaming down my face when he gets down on one knee in front of me.

His words are sweet, kind, and loving – everything I've ever hoped for, and everything Niall has embodied in my life since I met him.

When he speaks, it truly makes me realize he has come into my life and changed it for the better. Everything that was going wrong in my life, he fixed. Everything that made me sad, angry, or upset, he changed. He has always faced every battle with me head on and by my side. He's never abandoned me, and he's loved me and only me fully since we met.

He has forgiven me for my mistakes, and he's taken me to meet his family on several occasions. He has taken me on countless dates, and to countless countries around the world. He's been there to hold me at night and make me breakfast in the mornings.

Right now, staring into Niall's eyes as he pours his feelings out to me with tears stinging the corners of his eyes, I have never felt so in love, so complete, as I do right now.

Once he finally says the words, the ones I've waited so long to hear, my heart fills with so much happiness, I'm afraid it might burst.

"So Cassidy.....will you marry me?"

"Yes, a thousand times yes!"