His Sacrifice ~ Alex

Alex watched the Neverboys stalk closer. He had to buy Cale and Monique time. His hands shook as he tried to hold his arrow in place.

I'm sorry, Monique. He finally thought, trying not to cry. He had to be brave. For her. For Good.

His last week at school passed before his eyes when he saw Ulma's fangs. He flinched from Jultan's purple fingerglow.

"You think you can beat me?" Monique teased him, moving her black checker piece to hop over two of his. She crowed in triumph as she snagged his red pieces off the board.

Alex grinned, "No, I don't. You're amazing at checkers." He slide his red piece to go towards her end but she intercepted it.

He watched her move a piece of her copper hair back into its place behind her ear and wished he was the one doing it.

"Is something wrong?" Monique asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

Alex snapped out of his lovestruck daze and shook his head. "No, nothing's wrong, love." He grinned cheekily.

Monique kicked him underneath the table. "Alex, don't call me that!" The Evergirl rolled her eyes.

He grinned wider. "But you like it."

Alex watched as a faint blush appeared on her cheeks and he laughed.

"I—um..." she sputtered, not meeting his eyes.

A lock of her hair slipped from behind her ears again and this time he made his move. Alex snagged the lock and gently moved it back into place, his hand lingering for a moment too long on her cheek. They gazed into each other's eyes—one golden blue the other dark brown.

"Alex..." she breathed.

"I know." He shifted his position to be right next to her. "This isn't allowed because I'm not your prince." The archer still looked into her eyes though.

He didn't know who moved first but he felt warm lips on his, his hand slipping from her face and moving down to her back. Carefully, Alex moved his lips from hers and trailed soft kisses down her neck. He heard Monique gasp and pull him closer. He chuckled softly before retreating back.

Her eyes were wide, her mouth parted in shock.

He placed a finger on his lips and made a shushing noise. The Evergirl nodded. And from then on, the two never spoke about that  kiss except for hints from time to time, gentle touches and teasing words.

Alex snapped back to the present, his eyes narrowed. Ulma, Jultan and Seth closed in on him. He made no move to drop his flag. Instead, he met their eyes. For Monique and Good. He thought before letting his arrow fly.

Seth dodged it, just like he knew he would. Ulma growled and two giant cats appeared from either side of him. Alex felt hands roughly grab him and pin him down. The Everboy struggled, trying to free himself from Jultan's grip.

The Neverboy's boot against his neck made him fell limp. His breath weakened, the last thing he saw was that beautiful Evergirl he wished he had known longer.