A Twist of Magic ~ Cale

Cale stood there, watching the Storian capture the two's almost kiss. His heart hurt, looking at Monique stare into eyes that were not his. Beside him, Rhian and Japeth watched calmly, although Rhian was fidgeting. A yelp sounded and Cale turned around, raising an eyebrow.

Rhian clutched his leg glaring at Japeth. "Why did you kick me?" He pouted, an offended look on his face.

Japeth rolled his eyes. "You were fidgeting." He pointed out.

"Both of you stop." Cale ordered, making the two brothers shut up almost instantly. They waited for his orders. "I hope you have a good excuse for me. I was supposed to be in class." He shot at Japeth.

His teacher rolled his eyes. "Please. I don't need an excuse. After all, I am your teacher and your friend's uncle." Japeth glowered at the boy.

Cale frowned. "I still need to get to my next class...we have an exam that I can't fail. It's for the Trial team." He muttered.

Rhian's eyes lit up in excitement. "I can help!"

Japeth turned on him. "No. You won't. No one can know you've returned. Not even Sophie."

Rhian frowned at the mention of his ex-fling. "Not even Diamonique?" His eyes grew sad.

"I'm sorry, Rhian. If word got out that the former Camelot king was alive then the Woods would be in turmoil. Chaos would upheave the school and we'd have another book to add to the Tale of Sophie and Agatha collection instead of..." Japeth frowned.

Cale realized they were all frowning. "What's the matter?" He asked, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

"I don't know the title to your fairytale." Japeth looked at him, shrugging helplessly. "We missed that part, apparently."

Rhian was trying to turn the page to the cover to read the title but the Storian kept going in for the stab. He yelped as it managed to nick his palm. He clutched his bleeding hand into a fist and glared at it. "Stupid thing!" 

Cale laughed. "Shouldn't you have known it would've done that?" His eyes twinkled.

"Wretched pen. Now I know why Rafal despised it." Rhian shook his head in disgust.

"Rhian, we need a plan. Where are we gonna put you until we figure out what we need to do?" Japeth started to pace, his thoughts clearly far away from the current topic.

"How many days until the Trial by Tale?" Rhian looked at Cale.

"About two weeks. The selection process is this Friday though." Cale answered, relieved that he knew something about it.

Japeth heard what he said. "The woods would be filled with teacher set traps and beasts so that's a no."

Rhian groaned, leaning against the wall. He looked up at the ceiling and sighed.

"I've got an extra bunk in my room. My roommates left me cause they didn't want to stay with a 'wannabe Everboy'." Cale said, trying to ignore the look Japeth gave him.

"No. Absolutely no. I can't risk you getting in trouble." Japeth glared at him. "Rhian can stay here until we're given our tasks. Stay here. Don't leave this room. Or else we'd all be dead." He looked at Rhian.

He nodded, dead serious. Monique's father and uncle looked at each other for a moment longer before the latter dragged Cale out of the room, locking the door.