The Lion ~ Cale

When you're the most popular prince in the school, it's hard to find someone to talk to that won't spill your secrets. That's exactly what Cale had to go through until finally he resorted to finding his Ever friend Diamonique.

The second month during school, he waited till lunch time to swoop her away from the Ever Squad she always had following her and steal to the bushes for privacy.

"What is it this time?" Monique hissed, glaring at the Never prince.

Cale rolled his eyes at her attitude. "Can we just talk one time without you pulling the entire Ever is better thing?"  Monique grinned, but allowed him to speak freely.

He took a breath before starting. "I'm worried." He admitted, twisting his hands together.

"About what?" Monique stared at her best friend.

Cale was unable to meet her eyes as he responded. "That when we leave the school...we'll end up alone. Because of what schools we went to. I was supposed to be a Ever but somehow I was made a Never. Your father was Evil but somehow you were made a Ever."

Monique went silent. Her mind twisted with all the rumors that went around the School for Good about her. Even Kian stayed away from her. She's manipulative, just like her father. She can't be trusted, stay away. Wonder why she was put in my school instead of Cale being here. She's useless, I don't care about an orphan.
Then there were the threats.
Amber had cornered her in the hallway before her Good Deeds class and told her she would kill her if she tried making it to class captain and therefore taking her place in Trial by Tale.
Kian had shook his head at her as she passed him on the way to Forest Groups but he said nothing, wary of her.
The other boys at least had her back, thanks to the nickname they'd given her as a code name. Lion. Just like her father was called.

"I don't know, Cale." She took his hand in her own and squeezed it. He looked up in surprise at the gesture. "But I do know that if you continue to rise in the ranks in your school, we'll be facing each other in the Trial by Tale." She smiled.

Cale mustered a smile of his own but suddenly Monique was pulled out from behind the bush. Amber was gripping her classmate by the collar and was yelling angrily at her. Monique looked back at Cale who wore an expression of shock.

He summoned up his courage and his fingertip glowed a bright white. "Put her down, Amber." He glowered at the girl that had been bullying his friend for months.

Amber rolled her eyes at the prince. "Why should I? She's been messing with my school since the day she arrived." Leering at the girl she threw her onto the ground at Cale's feet. "Run back to Evil like your father always did."

The Evergirl sauntered away. Cale held Monique back by her shoulders. Kian stood there, where Amber just stood, his hands stuffed in his pockets.

The dark knight looked down at Monique with
a pained expression, as if wanting to help her.

"Kiaaaaaaaaaan." Amber's shrill snapped the knight out of his daze and he raced off towards her direction.

Cale didn't let Monique out of his sight for the next two days.