Trial by Tale(part two) ~ Nevers

Cale was being unceremoniously shoved into the Nevers door to the Blue Woods. He fell through onto the other side a moment later, breathing heavily.

Twenty four hours. He told himself, trying to stay off the path. He headed to the Blue Brook bridge, a famous area of the blue woods. Cale quickly climbed one of the nearby trees, hiding himself from any eyes. He glanced at the sun. Already an hour had passed.

He heard Castor call the next pair in and his heart almost faltered. This was real. He could die here. The evil prince nervously linked his hands together, trying to keep himself from panicking.

He heard voices off to the left. Amber's high pitched voice wanted to make him cover his ears. A lower voice answered her question. Was that Eric? He tried to strain his hearing, but their voices retreated into the darkness.

Monique was the third pair to go in. He remembered the order so they could meet up in the woods.

Mogrifiying into a sleek white bat, Cale flew silently above the treetops, avoiding predators and students alike. The white bat touched down near the tulip garden, hiding in a bush nearby.

A few moments later, a green lion carefully made her way through the undergrowth and shook out her mane.

The bat chittered, trying not to be too excited. The lion looked around for the noise and spotted him. Cale flew over to Monique and rested his wings gently on her neck.

The lion tensed underneath him then spun around. Three Nevers prowled into the garden, their finger tips lit. Cale recognized a few of them and blanched even whiter.

His mind flickered back to last night.

"Did you get the information?" Ulma whispered, his catlike stare looking around for any stalkers.

"Yeah. Monique is in the third group to go in. We can ambush her and the prince. Knowing them, they'd probably find each other the minute both of them are in the Trial." Seth rolled his red eyes.

Jultan chuckled. "Well we can't let that happen, now can we? First Kian ruins our chance to get Monique. Then Cale misses History class along with our other target. They can't escape this time."

The other two boys laughed, their eyes glinting with mirth. Jultan stood up and instantly Seth and Ulma's eyes shot to him.

"Oh I'm not going anywhere. My bones aren't flexible nowadays." He said.

Cale flinched back from the door and shivered in his room, knowing that tomorrow he may or may not be alive.

Cale hung closer to Monique, clutching her fur. The lion growled at the three boys, daring them to come closer.

Seth rolled his eyes, his red finger glow lighting up his face. "Is that all you got, Kitty Kitty?" He crooned.

"It's three against two. Give it up." Ulma prowled from the shadows, his pointy ears pricking—listening for anyone.

"I wouldn't be so certain." A voice called from the treetops. Gracefully, Alex—Cale remembered—leapt down and landed in front of Monique and Cale, his bow drawn and aimed at Jultan.

The three boys hissed in laughter.

"You think you can win, puny boy?" Ulma crowed, cackling.

"You're already almost out of time. You'd be a waste of our energy." Jultan cawed, triumph on his face.

Monique spun to face Alex, shocked.

Alex said nothing, his eyes narrowed at the Neverboys. Finally he looked to meet her eyes.

"Run. Don't look back. I promise I'll meet you later." Alex said, walking to the lion and kissed her nose. He looked in her eyes for a moment before standing back up and looking directly at the males.

Cale wanted to say something—try to stop him—but it was too late. Monique bolted away, tears burning.