Trial by Tale(Part One) ~ Evers

The day of the selection came by faster than Monique had excepted. Waiting by the Great Hall for the rest of her friends, Moni paced, butterflies in her stomach.

"Nervous?" Alex appeared shortly, dressed in a forestry white shirt and beige pants. His hair was set back in braids, a dark green ribbon woven through it. The Everboy noticed Monique's stare. "What?"

"You have a ribbon in your hair." Monique said, raising her eyebrows.

He flashed her a grin. "It's the same as your finger glow color. We've all got ribbons in our hair. It's a symbol." Alex didn't say what it meant though, his mind flashing back to last night.

Kian had been pacing in their room for the past few hours. Alex tried to muffle his footsteps by pulling his pillow over his head. Finally he couldn't take it any longer.

"Do you mind?!" He glared at Kian.

"Can't do this. I can't finish the job." Kian muttered under his breath, unaware of Alex's presence.

"Can't do what?" Alex sat up, his eyes wide.

Kian finally looked at him, his gaze sad. He sat down beside him and gazed at the wood floor of the room.

"Alex, I have something to tell you." He said softly, not meeting his roommates stare.

"What is it? Kian, you can tell me anything. I'm here for you. I got your back." Alex faced the other boy.

"I've been assigned a task." Kian met his eyes. "My family wants me to destroy Rhian and his daughter. Once and for all. But I can't do it." He sighed heavily, breaking his stare.

Alex sat back, his hands weaving into the soft quilt of the bed. "Isn't Rhian Sader dead?" He asked.

Kian nodded. "That's what I thought. Apparently something brought him back. I don't know if it was Sophie or...no it can't be his daughter. She doesn't even remember him."

"Who's she?" Alex frowned.

"Diamonique. Monique is Rhian's daughter. According to my family, Rhian was the name of the Good School Master brother. And Rafal killed him during the first Great War between Good and Evil. But somehow he had a daughter before he was murdered? And they both reincarnated? That's my theory."

Monique was Rhian's daughter. Moni, the Evergirl Alex could look at forever was the Good School Master's daughter. He couldn't believe it. Alex blinked, realization hitting him. He let Kian in on his plan. Kian and Alex spent the rest of the night finding ways to stop Kian's family from killing Monique.

Alex snapped back to the present. His group was staring at him with confusion.

"Did I say something?" He asked, trying to crack a joke.

"No. But your face looked like you were taking a walk on a elephant that looked like a camel mixed with a rhino." Nina responded.

The Evers laughed then they fell silent, Castor's voice barking at the first pair to enter.

"Alex and Cale enter!" Castor roared.

Alex was being shoved into the Woods, he turned trying to see his team—and Monique one last time. He met her eyes and then he was gone.