College Tour

Y/n's POV

"Y/n, would you please tell Clay that touring Sanderson won't be as bad as he think it'll be?" Justin requested.

"It's not gonna be as bad as you think it will," I oblige. "I mean, I don't know what you want to study, but they have a great literature department plus a whole bunch of fantastic liberal arts majors to choose from. It's also close to home, which I guess could be a pro and a con at the same time. Oh, and your dad also teaches there, so that's a plus, right?"

"I think you made me not want to go even more," Clay claimed as we passed through the metal detectors.

"Come on, Clay. We're finally gonna get to study whatever we want," I mention. "You've gotta have an interest in something."

"What's your interest? Pre-med?" Clay guessed. "Or perhaps nursing? Just like your parents, right?"

"Actually, on all of my college apps I put undecided," I share.

Justin frowned. "What? Why? All you've ever talked about is getting a career in medicine, just like your parents. What changed that?"

"I don't want to talk about it," I murmur as chatter hit my ears. Up ahead, a huge crowd had gathered in front of the administration office. I moved my way through the throng of students, and when I saw Jess and Alex, I went to stand by them. It was then that I noticed what everyone was staring at. On the doors, spray painted in big, red letters was the phrase MONTY WAS FRAMED.

"What the fuck?" Jess muttered. "Who did this?" 

"No fucking idea," Alex replied. 

"The admin doors? Respect," Zach commented. "Whoever did this, they've got balls." 

"Seniors, it is now time to load the bus to head to Sanderson," Principal Bolan announced over the intercom.

"Shit," I curse. "I still have to drop some stuff off in my locker. I'll meet you guys at the bus."

"I'll come with you," Zach offered and followed me down the hallway. When we got to my locker though, there was a small crowd gathered around it, which was unusual. And after seeing what was written on the admin doors, fear flooded through me. This wasn't gonna be good.

"Excuse me," I say and push through the students to get to my locker. The students all parted to let me through, and when I got to the front, I wished I would've just gone straight to the buses.

"Y/n!" Zach shouted and tried to make his way through the crowd. Everyone around me was whispering to the person next to them, watching as I stared at my locker. And as soon as Zach got to where I was standing, he saw what I was looking at. In thick black marker, someone had written the word TRAITOR across my locker door. To make matters worse, surrounding the word were pictures of Monty and I together, laughing and having fun. Zach walked up to the locker and ripped the pictures off before standing in front of the door so no one could see it anymore. "Don't you guys have something better to do? Get the fuck out of here."

Everyone who was in the hallway left, but I was still frozen in place. I couldn't move. All I could do was stare at the words on my locker. In my head, I pictured Monty saying that to me, and it made me want to burst into tears. Monty was my friend, and I truthfully didn't want him to take the blame for Bryce's death or get killed in prison. 

"Second times the charm I guess," I mumble and wipe at my eyes. The first time someone had written something on my locker was in junior year. After the trial, someone had written BITCH across my locker, but back then, it didn't bother me. This time though, it did."

"Y/n," Zach started when he noticed that I was frozen in my spot. 

"I've um, I've got to g-go," I stammer and turn around.