Tape 1, Side B

Y/n's POV

Welcome back. So glad you're still listening. Are you having fun? You must be wondering who's next and why. Is it you? What did you do? How did you end up on these tapes? Maybe you did something cruel. Or maybe you just watched it happen. Maybe you didn't even realize you were being cruel. Maybe you didn't do anything at all, and maybe you should have. Too late. I think you know exactly what you did, and after these tapes, you'll never forget it. I know I won't. Oh, and, uh, by the way I'm still dead.

Friendship is complicated, but don't worry. You won't go through this alone. That's not fun. Trust me. I've been there. Now, it won't always be easy. It might even hurt a bit. Or a bit more than a bit. That depends on you. But fear not, we'll get through this. Step by step, tape by tape. You and me. Together. And don't forget there are others.

"L/n!" Coach Patrick yelled and waved me over. "What are you doing in here? You can't be here to distract Dempsey today. It's a closed practice."

"Distract Zach? Coach, when has that ever happened?" I ask.

"Don't act like you don't notice him trying to show off when you're here. I need him on top of his game," Coach Patrick declared.

"Okay. But I'm actually here for you," I alert him. "I had a question about my presentation in class yesterday. How'd I do?"

"You'll find out when I post the grades," Coach Patrick responded. "Now, I know you and Foley are good friends. He wasn't here yesterday, and he's not here today. He'd better be here for the pep rally this afternoon. So, if you see him, tell him his ass is gonna be running suicides until the lights go out."

"Got it. If I see him, I'll tell him. Sorry to interrupt your practice, Coach. See you later, Zach!" I call out to my boyfriend. The story of us getting together coincides with one of the other tapes, which you'll hear soon enough.

Secret-keeping is learned behavior. As is the silence. See, I can guarantee that one of the reasons you're still listening is that you really want to know who are the others? Who else is responsible for my death? Well, you're going to learn soon enough. And, of course, they're going to learn about you, too. It they haven't already. What? Feeling paranoid? On edge? Yeah. High school does that to a person. You never really know who you can trust and who you can't.

Enough with the small talk. It's time to meet the star of Tape One, Side B. So, without further ado, let me introduce my former friend. Step up, Jessica Davis. You're next.

"Hey," Jessica greeted Zach, Marcus, and I and approached our desks. "Where the hell is Justin?"

"I don't know, Jess," Zach admitted. "He's just skipping first. You know, sleeping in."

"Did he ride with you guys today?" Jessica quizzed.

"No," I reply. "But seriously Jess, calm down. I'm sure he'll be here soon."

"What about you, Marcus?" Jessica pushed.

"Calm down. I'm sure he'll be at the pep rally today," Marcus told her.

"Oh, you're sure. Thanks, Marcus. Mr. Porter wants to see me now. He left a call slip in my homeroom. If you get ahold of him, tell him I need to talk to him," Jessica instructed and left the classroom.

I met Jessica a couple of weeks into sophomore year. Apparently, we needed to be counseled. Do adults understand how friendships work? Mr. Porter was the replacement for Mrs. Antilly, who moved to another school district. Which, as it turns out, was very unfortunate. That's for another tape. Thus began the story of Monet's. The story of a friendship. It was a hot chocolate friendship. Good for cold months, but maybe not good for all seasons. For a while, we were the kind of friends you wish you had. We did disgusting things like shop together, and compare what we bought, and talk about boys. And then we met Alex Standall, and just like that, two became three. There was nothing two hot chocolates and Alex's coffee drink du jour couldn't fix. Day after day, drink after drink, we lifted our mugs, and we lifted each other. In spite of our differences, we were what we each needed at that moment in time. Alex was the first to stop coming. He found some other friends. He traded up. We were still friendly in the halls, but that's it. Then it was down to Jessica and me. But then Jessica stopped coming too. We all went our separate ways, or so I thought.