Falling out

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE NOT GOING!?" 

"Double D, come on!" I'd never seen Eddy look scared of anyone before, but he sure looked terrified of Double D.  

"NO! NOT COME ON!" Double D paused to breathe, spluttering and looking rather dizzy. "What the hell, Eddy?" 

"I-I-I..." Eddy looked over at me and stared into my soul. "Help." he squeaked. I took a step forward. 

"Double D." 

He whipped around, "What! Um.. what? I'm sorry, (y/n)." I helped Eddy explain. Double D seemed to run out of energy and slumped against the wall of the gym, knees pulled up to his chest. By this point, most kids were leaving for lunch. Our voices bounced around the large room like basketballs. "Eddy, I just..." Double D said, "I can't stand having to leave you. You're my best friend."

"Well, I couldn't come with you anyway. I can't get into any smart schools."

"I was going to switch." Double D responded in a hushed voice. "I applied there and got in."

"Double D..." This was another emotion I'd never seen in Eddy before. "You can't give up on your dreams for me. I'm just some dork from Peach Creek."

"I don't care Eddy. Let me stay with you." 

"O-" his voice cracked. "Okay." Eddy got up and left, very abruptly. 

"Huh." I said to Double D. "I wonder what's with him."

"Maybe he's upset that I just screamed at him. I've never yelled that loud in my life."

"He said okay. You think that means he'll go?"

"I hope so. But I'm done with this for today. Let's go eat something before 5th."

Double D had a dark and mysterious mood for the rest of the afternoon. It was different for him, and kind of cute. "Hey." I nudged him during science. "Are you mad at him?"

"Yes. But only because I love him, (y/n). I'd be the same way if something were happening with you." Did that mean he loves me too? 

Eddy's POV:
I ran out of the gym, into the locker room and cried. Double D and Ed were nicer to me than anyone in my life. Kinder than my family or any of the other cul-de-sac kids. I was feeling something for Double D that I had never felt before. In so much of our childhoods, he had just annoyed me, but I always leaned on him, and now I do more than ever. It felt... different. I was so happy when Double D started going out with (y/n), because they liked each other so much. Now I just felt... conflicted. I didn't know what to do next. Minutes ago I'd been so sure of myself... and then things just shifted inside me. I couldn't run away forever so I knew I had to figure myself out soon. I grabbed my jacket and walked out of school. I knew it was counter productive to skip class, but that could wait for a day. For the first time I could remember, I thought to myself, maybe money isn't everything.