fifty-two ☆ i don't know if i'm ready

FEBRUARY
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

zach ⛅️:
hey can we hang out?

elena 🌻:
sure maybe when
my shift is over??

zach ⛅️:
yeah for sure

zach ⛅️:
but i might be like
ten minutes late

zach ⛅️:
so how bout i
pick u up at nine?

elena 🌻:
yeah that works

elena 🌻:
where are
we going?

zach ⛅️:
i was thinking milo's
shakes so we could
get some dessert

elena 🌻:
ooh that
sounds fun

elena 🌻:
okay see u
in thirty (:

-

elena was delighted to spend time with zach once her shift ended. he normally just drops her off at her house when work is done, but she was excited to hang out with him even more.

"so... what's the occasion?" elena asked.

"do i need an excuse to hangout with you?" zach laughed.

elena shook her head, "i'm a tad bit confused because milo's shakes is, like, half an hour away, and it's a school night."

zach shrugged, "hey, leave me and my banana split cravings alone."

after what felt like three minutes, the car ride ended and the two headed inside milo's shakes. zach ordered a banana split, and elena requested for an oreo milkshake.

"i don't know, zach, i'm suspicious," elena admitted, taking a sip from her shake, "there has to be something going on."

zach placed his hand on top of hers, "trust me, elena."

he swooped his left pointer finger through the whipped cream that topped his banana split, and bopped it on elena's nose.

"zach!" elena laughed, dipping her finger in her shake and flicking it on zach, "there, how's that?"

"hey, can i tell you something?" zach asked, earning a nod from elena, "i like you."

"i like you too, zach," elena added, smiling.

"uh, i don't think you mean it the way i do," zach mumbled, putting his head down to avert eye contact.

elena tilted her head to express her confusion, and then it finally hit her, "wait, so you like me... as in more than friends?"

zach slowly nodded, "yeah, ellie, i do."

"well, that's nice," elena remarked, "because i like you too, zach."

his head immediately shot up, "wait, what?"

"i like you, zach," elena declared, smiling wider than a mile, "did you really think i didn't like you i like that?"

"i mean, kind of," zach admitted, "i had a whole speech ready explaining that it's okay if you don't feel the same way and that i can learn to move on."

"zach," elena started, placing her right hand on his left cheek, "i've liked you since homecoming."

"wow," zach stated, "this is really shocking to me, ellie. i seriously didn't know."

"well, since now that we both know we like each other, what happens?" elena questioned.

"if we date, we need to get one thing straight," zach declared, "ellie, i don't want to lose you. you're so important to me, and i can't imagine who i'd be without you. you inspire me to be a better person each day, and that's why i like you so much. i just want you to know that i don't want anything to ruin what we already have."

"i feel the exact same, zach," elena agreed, "i don't want us to lose our friendship because you are my best friend. but, zach, i don't know if i'm ready."

"huh?" zach inquired.

"zach, i love you, but i'm not sure if i'm ready to date. i need to some time to think about it," elena sighed, "i'll let you know, okay?"

zach nodded, and forced a smile. he thought that when elena said she liked him too they would start a new phase of their relationship, but he was wrong. the car ride back was filled with awkward tension. the two didn't speak as much, but on the inside, they couldn't stop thinking about what happened in the milkshake shop.

the car was parked right in front of elena's house, and the two walked up to the front door.

"thank you for tonight, zach," elena acknowledged.

"yeah, o-of course," zach stuttered, walking back to his car.

"hey!" elena called out, running toward zach, "no goodbye hug?"

"right," zach mumbled, forcefully hugging the petite girl in front of him.

"zach," elena declared, pulling on his arm, "you know i love you, right?"

"of course i know, elena," zach answered, walking away and toward his car.

elena ran toward him once again, however, she stepped in front of him instead. she grabbed onto his shoulders, and attached her lips against his.

"see you tomorrow?" elena asked, tilting her head.

"tomorrow," zach declared, genuinely engulfing her in a large hug.

...