seventy-seven ☆ snapped

JUNE
of twenty-twenty

narrator's pov.

after elena texted presley, zach had woken up. both of them looked at each other, and zach sighed, "elena, i'm sorry."

"it's fine," elena replied.

"no, seriously, i shouldn't have blown up at you like that," zach apologized, "i guess my jealousy of zack paterson got the best of me."

"i said it's fine," elena stated, "i'm going to pack up my stuff, is that okay?"

"y-yeah, for sure," zach stuttered, standing up, "again, i'm sorry, elena."

"zach, can you please stop apologizing?" elena requested, "it's my fault that i was texting zack paterson in the first place... so can we just stop talking about it?"

the brunet tried to sneak his arms around elena's waist and give her a hug from the behind, but she jumped at zach's touch. she's scared of me, he thought.

zach walked her out to the front of his house, and elena said, "um, thanks for the sleepover."

"of course," zach acknowledged.

he leaned in to kiss her on the cheek, but she turned her head, "i-i'm sorry... i have to go. i'll try and text you later, okay?"

-

elena walked inside her house, and she was surprised to see her father. she asked, "oh, hey, dad. i thought you had a meeting today?"

"well, it got cancelled, so they gave me the day off," david remarked.

"that's good," elena replied.

karen walked down the stairs, and tilted her head, "elena, where were you last night?"

"at a friend's house," elena answered, "why do you care, karen?"

"elena..." david mumbled, "don't be disrespectful."

the girl scoffed, "you know what... i've had it. i'm sick and tired of karen acting nice when dad's here, but once he's gone, she's a fucking devil!"

something shifted in elena. it was as if her fight with zach the night prior changed her entire self, and she didn't know how to fix it.

"you know what, elena? i may be a devil, but everything i do is because i care. it may not seem like it, but i do," karen declared, "and i know i'll never replace your mother, but i'm doing the best i can."

elena rolled her eyes, and stormed up to her room. before she could slam her door to a close, david walked in her room, "elena, what was that?"

she flopped on her bed, "i don't know, dad, i'm sorry. i think something in me just... snapped."

"i don't even know what happened down there," david admitted, "but, what i do know is that the girl who screamed at karen was not you. what's wrong, elena? did something happen to you?"

you lied to me, you wanted to be there for your ex instead of me, and i should've known i can't trust you kept popping up in elena's head. her fight with zach was the reason why she wasn't acting like her normal self.

"elena, are you even listening to me?" david asked.

the dark-haired girl snapped out of her thoughts, "i-i'm sorry, dad. i'm going to try to be a better person."

-

zach ☀️:
ellie pls talk to me

zach ☀️:
i'm so sorry

zach ☀️:
i acted like an
actual jerk last night

elena 🌻:
zach ive said
it's fine like a
zillion times

zach ☀️:
i know i just feel
like ur saying that
but u don't mean it

elena 🌻:
im going to force myself
to move on from last night
because i don't want u to
notice how bad my mental
state is getting. i'll just keep
concealing my feelings. if it
makes u happy, that's all that
matters. u have come so far
since i first met u, and i dont
want my mental state to bring
urs down as well. covering up
my feelings won't be hard bc
i do it all the time.
*not delivered*

elena 🌻:
just please read
the letter i gave
you. please.
*not delivered*

elena 🌻:
zach im saying with
my whole heart that
it's totally fine and i
understand why u
reacted like that and
i'm sorry as well for
texting zack behind
ur back and plus he
left for california today
so i'll probably never
see him again. i love
you and only you and
i promise that it's
all okay

zach ☀️:
i love you so
much ellie it's crazy

elena 🌻:
i love u too zach

zach ☀️:
r we still hanging
out tomorrow?

elena 🌻:
yea of course

elena 🌻:
im meeting presley
at 4pm so i'll just
leave a bit earlier

zach ☀️:
ok, see u then ellie

zach ☀️:
i love you

elena 🌻:
love you

...

a / n :

the next chapter is extremely
important, and will most likely
come as a shock to all of you.
be prepared!