one ☆ please take it

AUGUST
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

elena quinn carmen held a sunflower in her right hand as she quickly walked down the dirt path of oakland's local sunflower field. with all the positivity in her kind soul, elena's intentions were to make someone's day.

it was the last day of summer vacation, and elena wanted to make the most out of it by spending it at her favorite place in the world.

since she often visited the sunflower field, she knew everyone there. elena walked through the sunflowers, but spotted someone she had never seen before.

covered in the yellow plants, a brunet boy sat criss-cross on the dirt. he was looking down, but not at anything in particular. he was in his own thoughts while staring at the ground.

the dark-haired girl cleared her throat, and remarked, "hi, i'm elena."

the boy didn't look up, and his head stayed facing down. elena cleared her throat again, "hello?"

the brunet boy snapped out of his thoughts, and looked up at the girl. he gasped, and began to gather his belongings. the boy stood up, and quickly walked away from the girl.

"wait, don't leave!" elena called out, running toward him, "i wanted to give you this."

elena passed the boy the sunflower that was originally in her hands.

"what's this?" the boy asked, his voice so quiet it sounded like a whisper.

"a sunflower," elena remarked.

the boy purposely dropped the flower, and walked even further.

"hey!" elena shouted, picking up the flower, "please take it, i insist."

"a sunflower isn't going to change my life," the boy snapped, his voice louder.

or so he thought.

...