three ☆ a fourth one

AUGUST
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

elena skipped inside the field as she greeted everyone she knew. her friends knew that she adored the sunflower field, but they didn't know how much she enjoyed being there. the simplicity of the flowers made her happy, and nobody truly understood that.

whenever elena was at the sunflower field, she'd walk through all of the yellow plants and reflect on the good moments of her life. she went back to the same spot that she spotted the brunet boy, and to her fortune, he was there again.

"hi, i'm elena," she remarked, restating what she had told him two days prior.

just like he seemed before, the boy was lost in his own thoughts. he stared at the ground, and didn't notice elena until she decided to sit right across from him and give a warm smile.

"u-um, hi?" he stuttered.

"i'm elena," she declared again, sticking her hand out for him to shake, "elena carmen."

the boy slowly shook her hand, and elena asked, "what's your name?"

"uh, i'm z-zach herron," he mumbled.

"nice to meet you, zach," elena stated, "so... do you still have the sunflower i gave you?"

"oh, the sunflower?" he asked, "um, i don't know. maybe?"

"where are you from?" elena questioned, "i'm from oakland."

"i'm from pineland," zach answered.

"really? then why are you here in oakland?" elena inquired, "don't you guys have a sunflower field in pineland?"

zach nodded, "i've been to the one in pineland, but it's not as nice as this one."

"what do you like about this field?" elena continued, tilting her head as she stared into zach's brown eyes.

on the contrary, zach didn't make as much eye contact as elena did, "i like how it's more peaceful, and nobody from my town comes here. plus, the lighting is better for pic— uh, looking at the flowers."

"why don't you like seeing the people from your town?" elena questioned.

zach shrugged, "i guess i'm not a fan of social interactions."

"you're talking to me, so you must like social interactions just a little bit," elena point out.

"not really," zach mumbled, "i have, like, barely three friends."

"well, you've just made a fourth one," elena remarked, clapping her hands.

for the first time in a while, the brunet boy's lips widened and he smiled.

a genuine smile.

...