twenty-eight ☆ don't fall asleep

OCTOBER
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

right when cheer practice ended, elena walked over to the sunflower field. she saw zach, and he was playing around with his camera.

"whatcha' doing?" elena asked, plopping down in front of him.

"testing something," zach replied, his eyes focused on his camera.

elena tilted her head, and went on her phone until zach was done. all of a sudden, the brunet picked up his backpack and stood up.

"where are you going?" elena questioned.

zach reached his hand out to meet hers, "come with me."

elena shrugged her shoulders, and followed him. however, elena was confused when zach led her to his car, "huh?"

"remember that time i told you we should go to that tulip field in glenville?" zach brought up, earning a nod from elena, "i was thinking we could go there right now."

elena's face lit up, "really? that would be fun!"

zach smiled, and began to drive to the tulip field. it was forty minutes away, so the two would be alone in the car for a while.

-

imzachherron
has added to their story!

imzachherron has added to their story!

-

liked by imzachherron, rosalinemonrae, pres1ey, and 554 otherselenacarmen 🤍🕊tagged: imzachherronview all 270 comments

elenacarmen 🤍🕊
tagged: imzachherron
view all 270 comments...
rosalinemonrae YOU'RE SO CUTE
pres1ey THE CUTEST
junefinley I LOVE THIS PIC
jonahmarais ^^ girls 🙄 am i right?
seaveydaniel yeah EW girls
jackavery COOTIES
corbynbesson 🤮
imzachherron i love your smile
elenacarmen (:
load more comments...

-

"you take the best pictures, zach," elena remarked, gazing at the images again.

"it's all in the blood," zach chuckled, "hey, uh, do you want to come over? we still have three more episode of wizards of waverly place till we finish it."

elena shrugged her shoulders, "i'm not sure, zach. i have tons of homework."

"come on, ellie," zach urged, shaking her arm, "it'll only be an hour. plus, you can start your work right when we're done watching."

elena let out a deep breath, "alright, i'll come."

after eating dinner with his family, the two headed on the couch and snuggled until they both fell asleep. all of a sudden, elena's phone rang, and the two jumped.

"shoot, my stepmom's calling," elena mumbled, standing up from the couch to take her call.

zach fell back asleep, and elena walked into the bathroom for privacy, "h-hello?"

"elena quinn carmen, where are you?" her stepmother asked, "it's almost ten o'clock!"

"i-i'm sorry, karen," elena apologized, "i'll come home as soon as possible."

"you better, young lady," karen threatened, "you have many chores waiting for you."

karen hung up, and elena immediately facepalmed herself. she walked out of the bathroom, and picked up her bags.

"hey, do you think you could drive me home?" elena whispered, tapping zach's shoulder.

zach nodded, "yeah, of course."

after driving for a few minutes, elena began to guide zach, "take a right here, and keep driving straight until the stop sign. then, turn left and you'll be on my street."

elena chewed the inside of her lip, and she was nervous to have to face her stepmother. zach stopped in front of her house, and it was not what he expected it to look like. it was much smaller compared to his.

"thanks, zach," elena acknowledged.

"it's no problem, ellie," zach replied, beginning to drive off, "see you tomorrow!"

we'll see, elena thought.

nervously, she opened the front door, and her stepmother was sitting on the couch. elena looked inside the kitchen, and saw the pile of dishes that she figured she'd end up cleaning. she also noticed the messy dining table and dirty laundry that was stacked right next to the stairs.

"who do you think you are, young lady?" karen scoffed, "you don't even text to let me know where you are!"

"i'm sorry," elena whispered.

"i want you to wash the dishes, clean the table, and do the laundry, elena," karen declared, "i don't care how late you have to stay up."

"b-but i have tons of homework," elena mentioned.

karen raised her left eyebrow, "do you really think i care? you shouldn't have been so careless and did your work on time, elena!"

her stepmother stormed up the stairs, and slammed the door of her and elena's father's room. the dark haired girl jumped at the traumatizing sound, and immediately started to clean.

i wish she knew that the reason why i'm never home is because i hate it here, elena thought.

at around eleven o'clock, elena had finished cleaning the house. she tiptoed up to her room, and began her homework. she had a worksheet for her french class, thirty practice problems for calculus, eight pages of reading for psychology, and the anatomy project she still had not started.

elena held back her tears as she began to start her french worksheet. she didn't want to cry since she hadn't in a while. however, her hand began to fidget, and she saw tear drops fall on her paper.

"shoot," elena mumbled, wiping her eyes, "my tears are going to smudge the words."

elena put her french worksheet to the side, and took out some lined paper to start her anatomy project. she wanted to at least write a few sentences before starting her other work.

"the digestive system is made up of the gastrointestinal tract — also called the GI tract or digestive tract — and the liver, pancreas, and gallbladder," elena mumbled to herself, swiftly writing what she had just said out loud.

the dark haired girl shoved the lined paper to her right, and put her french worksheet back in front of her. toward two in the morning, she began to feel tired. she still had three more pages to read for psychology, and the remainder of the anatomy project.

don't fall asleep, elena thought.

however, her eyes fluttered to a close, and she fell asleep on top of her textbook. next to her laid the lined paper of her anatomy project that still was not completed.

...