thirty-eight ☆ the jonah side

DECEMBER
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

"you guys broke up?" presley gasped, "why?"

"guys, i really don't want to talk about it right now," rosaline sighed, "i appreciate that you were all looking out for me, but right now isn't a good time. i promise i'll fill you guys in, but i'll do that when i'm ready."

she rolled up her window, and drove away from the school.

"well, i don't know about you guys, but i want to find out what went wrong," corbyn declared.

"i second that," daniel agreed.

"she said she'll tell us when she's ready," presley pointed out, "wait, why do you guys care all of a sudden?"

"yeah, and she said that she doesn't want to talk about it," elena added.

"well... then we're not going to talk to her about it," corbyn declared, "we're going to talk about it with someone else."

"huh?" presley inquired.

"we're going to jonah's house," corbyn commanded, unlocking his car, "are you guys coming, or what?"

-

presley knocked on the mahogany wood front door, and to everyone's surprise, it was jack that answered, "huh? presley, what are you doing here?"

the brunette smiled, and was delighted to see her boyfriend, "we just found out what happened between rose and jonah. what are you doing here?"

"we just found out too," jack replied, opening the door wider to reveal zach and june sitting on jonah's couch.

jack threw his arm around presley's waist, and the four friends from oakland walked in. like jack, zach and june weren't expecting to see them all.

"where's jonah?" elena asked, moving closer to zach and holding onto his hand.

"he's in his room," june answered, "his mom said he's been in there since he got home."

"i never expected this would happen," presley sighed, "i think we can all agree that we thought they'd get married."

"what could've went wrong between them? they never argue," elena mentioned

"toxicity? loss of feelings? cheating?" daniel suggested, "but those two who were so in love. i can't imagine either of them hurting the other."

out of nowhere, jonah appeared. he came down the stairs wearing a navy blue blanket sweatshirt, and he was holding an empty mug.

"jonah, are you okay?" jack questioned, stopping in front of the brunet.

"guys, i'm seriously fine," jonah insisted, walking around jack, "i just came down to fill my cup with more coffee."

copying jack, the six subtly followed jonah and observed what he was doing. on the outside, he seemed perfectly fine. jonah quietly added a bit of sugar to his coffee, and headed back to his room.

"he's definitely not okay," june stated, "did you all see his hands fidget and shake when he poured in the sugar?"

"i'm going to talk to him," zach declared.

"huh?" daniel asked, "he seems like he wants to be alone."

"daniel, i've been through therapy. i know when someone needs to talk," zach replied, heading up the stairs.

"he knows what he's doing," elena reassured, putting her hand on daniel's shoulder, "zach, do you want to me to come with you?"

zach nodded, and elena followed him to jonah's room. after getting no response when they knocked, zach slowly opened the door. jonah's room was a mess, and he was sitting on the edge of his bed with his hands practically engraved into his hair. he was pulling so fiercely on his brown locks, and there were tears streaming down his eyes.

"woah, woah, jonah!" zach started, his voice getting a bit louder to express his concern, "dude, take your hands off your head before you rip your hair out."

after hearing zach, presley's head perked up, "did you all just hear what zach said? i feel like we should go up there."

presley, jack, june, corbyn, and daniel headed up the stairs, and entered jonah's room.

"guys, just leave me alone," jonah whispered, hiding his face.

"we're not leaving until you talk," jack declared.

"bro, let me do the consoling," zach whispered, nudging at jack, "jonah, it's okay to cry. it's okay to be emotional. we understand that you and rose's breakup is hard. you guys have been together for a year, so it makes complete sense why you feel this way. we just want you to know that we're here for you."

"th-thanks, guys. i really appreciate it," jonah acknowledged, his breath shaky.

"are you ready to give us the jonah side of the breakup?" zach asked.

the brunet nodded, "the real reason rose and i didn't show up to that triple date is because the two of us were spending time together at my house. we were watching a movie, and then all of sudden, we were about to do it. she told me before that she was ready, so i thought that night would be the perfect time to. before it happened, she said she didn't want to anymore, and it was really awkward. we sat in silence for ten minutes, and then she randomly blurted out that she thinks our relationship can't work anymore. she broke up with me right on the spot."

"there has to be more," june pointed out, "i feel like rosie wouldn't break up with you just because of that."

jonah shrugged, "that's how it went down."

"i'm not completely convinced," presley declared, walking out of jonah's room.

the other six followed her, and jonah called out, "hey, where are you guys going?"

"to rosie's house," presley answered from the bottom of the stairs.

as the oakland group began to head out the door, june inquired, "are we all going, or should some of us stay here with jonah?"

"good idea, june," presley remarked, "you and jack stay here, we'll have zach come with us since he's good at talking."

"zach good at talking? shocker," jack teased.

the brunet looked down at the floor, and felt a bit hurt after what jack had retorted. zach's mental health was always a touchy subject, but he understood that his friends would never truly get it. however, elena was the only person who understood him. she noticed that zach was affected by what jack said, so she interlocked her hand with his. zach smiled at elena's touch, and they headed into corbyn's car.

...