fifty-eight ☆ fake blond

APRIL
of twenty-twenty

narrator's pov.

june and corbyn sat across each other at full moon pizza, and they were thinking about the future of their fake relationship.

"i think it's time we call this off," corbyn declared, "i mean, jack and presley are already broken up, what more do we need?"

june shrugged, "shouldn't we just keep this up for a bit longer?"

"okay, fine, we should be done with this by the senior trip," corbyn proposed.

"that works," june replied, "surprisingly, this was kind of fun, corbyn. the thing is... i don't think i like jack."

"i swear to god, june, if you say you developed feelings for me i will literally flip my shit right now," corbyn groaned, pretending to vomit.

"oh my god, you caught me! i'm dearly in love with you, corbyn," june dramatically gasped, holding her right hand to her chest, "come on, corbyn, as if i'd ever like you. sorry, you're not exactly my type."

"oh please, then what's your type?" corbyn asked.

"blonds," june mumbled.

"you literally just said i'm not your type," corbyn pointed out, "it's not that i'm offended i'm not your type, but you're making no sense right now."

"you're a different kind of blond," june added.

"what, so you like guys with fake blond hair?" corbyn chuckled, his eyes widening when june didn't say anything, "wait a minute. if you like a guys with fake blond hair, and you already liked jack, that means you like... daniel?"

"uh... maybe?" june answered, "i'm not sure."

corbyn laughed, "how could you like daniel? i didn't even know you guys were friends."

june shrugged, "i don't know, daniel and i just started hanging out more often."

"oh yeah, i forgot you live in oakland," corbyn brought up.

"i met his nana and poppy," june started, "and when we were all sleeping, he told his nana that he loved me since first sight."

the store door bell rang, and in came presley and daniel. corbyn whispered, "speaking of daniel..."

presley and daniel noticed corbyn and june, and walked over to their booth. presley remarked, "hey, what are you guys doing here?"

"just spending some time together, what about you guys?" corbyn asked back.

"elena told all of us to meet here because she has something important to say. did you not get her text?" daniel questioned.

"oh shoot, my phone was off," corbyn mentioned.

"well, i guess that's my cue to go home," june laughed, "uh, corbyn, can you drive me?"

"no... but daniel can," corbyn teased, dramatically dragging his words, "after all, you guys are neighbors. it's perfect."

daniel shrugged, "alright, june, let's go. i'll be back in, like, seven minutes."

june and daniel headed out of the pizzeria, the brunette shooting corbyn a glare before leaving. he gave her a thumbs-up, and sat back down in the booth but with presley in front of him instead.

"you and june seem really happy together," presley complimented, "i wish we still had that type of closeness."

"wait wh—" corbyn started, getting cut off by the store door bell ringing.

elena and rosaline walked in, and the dark-haired girl was dancing her way to the booth while holding a card in her hand. presley asked, "what's got you all happy?"

"i got my license!" elena cheered, jumping up and down, "and after my test, my dad surprised me with a car."

"oh my, that's great!" presley remarked.

after a few minutes, daniel walked into the pizzeria as well, and they all took a seat in the booth. elena started, "other than me getting my license, i have very important news."

"and that is...?" corbyn asked.

"i'm moving schools," elena announced, "i'm going to pineland high starting this coming monday."

"what?" rosaline queried, her eyebrows furrowing, "why?"

"it was a spontaneous idea between zach and i, but then i realized that i actually want to do it," elena explained.

"wait... so you're serious?" presley questioned.

elena nodded, "the superintendent of the district already approved."

"...and you didn't talk to us before making this big decision? elena, you know this affects us too, right?" presley declared.

"you guys don't seem to be very enthusiastic about this," elena pointed out, awkwardly laughing, "i don't understand what's wrong with me moving schools."

"the problem is that you didn't let any of us know," rosaline answered, "tomorrow is the last day we'll be going to school with you and we had no idea till just now. we've all been friends for so long, and now you're just going to leave us."

elena chuckled, but still felt the tension, "i'm still going to live in oakland, and we can all still hangout."

"we can hangout... just not with you," corbyn stated, lowering his voice so elena couldn't hear what he was going to say next, "...traitor."

elena's jaw dropped, "guys, i'm sorry. i mean, just think about it. zach's going off to college and i only have a few more months with my boyfriend. can't you guys just be happy for me... please?"

"you know who else is going off to college in a few months, elena? rosie, corbyn, and daniel! the people you've known for years! and you're just ditching us for your boyfriend," presley shouted, tears cascading from her eyes, "you're going to leave me all alone for our senior year."

"presley..." elena whispered, reaching her arms out to give her a hug.

the brunette dodged elena's embrace, and exited out of the pizzeria with corbyn. rosaline followed the two, and daniel began to walk away, until elena grabbed onto his arm.

"daniel... please?" elena whimpered, her eyes turning glossy from the tears forming.

"i'm sorry, el. i'm going to miss going to school with you, and it really sucks that they're all upset, but you really should've talked to us," daniel sighed, giving her one final hug before leaving, "goodbye, elena. have fun at pineland high. see you at the senior trip."

...