thirty-six ☆ royal berry bowls

DECEMBER
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

the pineland sunflower field had closed for the season, and elena and zach weren't sure where their new spot would be.

"so... we're just going to drive around oakland and pineland until we find ourselves a new place?" elena asked, earning a nod from zach, "nothing will compare the to the sunflower field."

"who knows? maybe we'll find some place even better," zach mentioned.

"zach, we've lived here all our lives, and we both know we've been to every singe place there is," elena pointed out.

"come on, ellie, think positive," zach urged, "that's what you always tell me."

elena rolled her eyes, and sighed, "alright, fine. where should we go first?"

"how about main street?" zach suggested, "there's tons of places."

elena sighed, and looked out the window as zach drove down the street. however, it gave her a sense of nostalgia since she used to go there all of the time as a kid. the sight of the retail stores, scent of freshly-baked churros, and sound of cars brought her back to simpler times when her mother was still alive.

zach parked the car alongside the concrete edging, and hopped out. elena threw on her teddy bear jacket, and followed zach. she interlocked their cold hands together, and held onto him as they walked down the street.

"how about there?" zach suggested, pointing at a bookstore.

elena shook her head, "they don't even have any good stories there."

"uh, what about that place?" zach asked, gesturing at the shop next to the bookstore.

"the pizza there isn't that good," elena admitted, "the cafeteria pizza tastes better, and that's saying a lot."

zach laughed at elena's comment, and continued to walk with her. one specific store caught his eye, and it was the one right next to them, "what about this?"

elena tilted her head, "royal berry bowls? i haven't been there in years."

"i have a good feeling about this place," zach declared, pulling elena inside the shop.

the smoothie and açaí bowl restaurant was nothing like elena had recalled. the interior design was different, and so was the ambience. there was a bay window with many decorative pillows, three beanbag chairs, and a comfy red sofa.

"elena?" the cashier asked, a smile growing on her face, "is that elena carmen?"

"ms. perkins?" elena questioned, grinning as well, "wow, it's been a long time!"

"actually, i'm mrs. cohen now," the cashier remarked, pointing at her wedding ring, "it's been so long, sweetie, how are you?"

"could be better, could be worse," elena answered, "how are you?"

"i'm feeling much better now that i'm seeing my favorite customer!" mrs. cohen declared.

"oh, mrs. cohen, this is my friend, zach," elena started, introducing the two, "so... when did the place get redone?"

"just a few months ago," mrs. cohen responded, "what are you two up to?"

"the sunflower field is permanently closed, so we're looking for a new place," elena stated.

"you two are welcome to stay here!" mrs. cohen cheered, "business has been getting low lately because it's starting to get cold here in utah. you two can just hangout here whenever you want. you don't even have to buy anything."

"mrs. cohen, you're too nice," elena laughed, "can i order something?"

"of course, dear. what would you and your friend like?" mrs. cohen questioned.

"i'll have the original açaí bowl with the regular toppings except almond butter instead of peanut butter, and no coconut flakes," elena requested.

"i'll take a matcha smoothie with less pineapple and extra banana," zach declared.

"is this payment together or separate?" mrs. cohen inquired, typing the order onto the cash register ipad.

"together," zach answered, preventing elena from insisting to have separate payments.

"zach," elena groaned, "you don't have to pay for me."

"i know," zach replied, passing mrs. cohen his debit card.

"alright, i'll have your orders out in just a bit," mrs. cohen declared, "you have a very sweet friend, elena."

"i do, don't i?" elena remarked, laying her head on zach's shoulder.

after receiving their snack, elena sat down on a blue bean bag while zach took a seat on the orange bean bag next to her.

"how do you know mrs. cohen?" zach questioned.

"i used to come here all the time when i was younger," elena answered, "with, um, my mom."

"karen?" zach inquired, taking a sip from his smoothie.

"no, my real mother," elena responded, "she... passed away when i was in third grade."

"oh, ellie, i'm so sorry," zach apologized, placing his hand on top of hers.

"it's fine, zach. i guess i don't remember her that much since i was still pretty young," elena mentioned, "so... have you seen the news?"

"that pineland and oakland are sharing their senior trip?" zach asked, earning a nod from elena, "yeah, i've heard."

"are you going?" elena questioned.

zach shrugged, "i'm not sure. should i?"

"i'm going, so you should go too," elena remarked, "we have until next friday to sign up for room assignments. do you want to stay in a room with rosie and me? daniel, corbyn, and jonah are staying together, and so are jack, june, and presley."

"alright, fine," zach agreed, resulting in elena cheering.

as happy as elena was that zach was going to attend the hawaii trip, her smile began to fade.

"hey, what's wrong?" zach questioned.

"i-i just remembered the sunflower field," elena sighed, "things will just never be the same."

...