eighty ☆ my precious sunflower

JUNE
of twenty-twenty

narrator's pov.

"zach, are you ready?" myta called out.

"y-yeah, one second," zach replied.

the brunet was writing a few more sentences on a piece of lined paper, and once he was completed, he headed down the stairs. zach's family was in the car, and his father began to back out of the driveway.

zach stared out the window. it was a cloudy day, and the sky was grey. after what felt like three seconds, the herron's had made it to their desired location.

the oakland funeral home.

when the herron's walked inside, there were already tons of people. everyone's attention drew to zach, and many whispers and murmurs began to surface as he walked inside of the main room. jack, jonah, rosaline, june, daniel, corbyn, and presley were sitting in the front, and all of their heads turned when they saw zach heading toward the casket.

the brunet was in his own world. he didn't even notice all of the people that greeted him and gave their condolences, and the only thing that mattered to zach was elena.

the casket was closed, and an arrangement of sunflowers were placed on the top. zach smiled when he saw his and elena's favorite type of flower, and he slowly turned his head to the left to examine the photo of elena placed next to her lifeless body. the picture that zach took of her at the tulip field in glenville back in october was propped up, and a tear fell from zach's right eye as he stared at the image. she's so beautiful, he thought.

-

zach headed up to the podium, and grabbed the piece of lined paper he was previously writing on out of his pocket. his hands fidgeted as he unfolded the paper, and he cleared his throat, "i would first like to extend my acknowledgment to all the relatives and friends who have gathered here today. all of the phone calls, letters, flowers, visits, thoughts, and prayers have been so comforting during this difficult time, and they also have been a reminder of the impact that elena quinn carmen had on so many others."

he looked up from his paper, and began to get nervous to see all of the people staring at him. on top of that, he knew elena was watching him as well.

"...m-my name is zachary dean herron. i've only known elena for a little under a year, but i feel like i've known her my whole life. we were best friends for about seven months, and then we started dating for around three months," zach mentioned, "as we all know, elena has always been a ray of sunshine. she was optimistic, and looked for the best in every situation. most importantly, elena loved everybody in her life."

he took another deep breath, and said, "i met elena at the oakland sunflower field last summer, and at that time, i had no idea how much she would change my life. elena — or as i used to call her, ellie — put in so much effort to become my friend, and i never truly understood that. why would such an positive girl want to befriend a broken boy?"

-

elena quinn carmen held a sunflower in her right hand as she quickly walked down the dirt path of oakland's local sunflower field. with all the positivity in her kind soul, elena's intentions were to make someone's day.

it was the last day of summer vacation, and elena wanted to make the most out of it by spending it at her favorite place in the world.

since she often visited the sunflower field, she knew everyone there. elena walked through the sunflowers, but spotted someone she had never seen before.