twenty-five ☆ sweet and sour chicken

OCTOBER
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

"hey, we should hangout," zach suggested, playing with the dirt below him and elena.

"we already are," elena laughed.

"no, i mean, like, at my house," zach corrected, "only if you want to."

elena smiled, "sure, we can keep watching wizards of waverly place."

the two exited the field, and drove to zach's house. once they entered, they were greeted by his dog.

"hi, sammy," elena remarked, rubbing the dog's belly.

zach dropped his backpack by the front door, and walked over to the kitchen to grab a snack. myta was cooking by the stove, and josh was looking at his computer at the kitchen island.

"hi, mr. and mrs. herron! it's nice to see you again," elena greeted, waving at zach's parents.

"oh, elena, thank heavens you're here!" myta declared, "by any chance, are you good at cooking?"

"cooking is like my second language," elena laughed, "do you need any help, mrs. herron?"

"i'm so confused with this recipe," myta sighed, gesturing at the cookbook beside her, "i'm cooking sweet and sour chicken for dinner, but i've never tried to make it before."

"i eat sweet and sour chicken all the time! my mom is japanese and my dad is chinese, so i'm really familiar with asian food. i can totally give you some tips, mrs. herron," elena suggested.

"perfect!" myta stated, "do you think you can watch the pot? i have to head somewhere with josh for a bit."

"of course. i can also continue the recipe if you'd like me to," elena brought up.

"that would be wonderful, elena, thank you so much," myta acknowledged, walking out of the door with josh.

zach walked over to the stove, and watched elena flip the chicken over with ease.

"geez, how do you that? i can't cook," zach asked.

elena shrugged, "it's in the genes."

zach lightly chuckled, and kept watching what the girl was doing.

"if you're going to stare at me like a creep, the least you could do is try and help," elena laughed.

"alright, what should i do?" zach questioned.

"i want you to grab a bowl and whisk the apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, honey, ketchup, and garlic," elena declared, "i need that marinade to simmer with the chicken once you're done."

"yes, chef elena," zach teased.

elena smiled to herself, and turned her focus back to not burning the chicken. after a few minutes, zach asked, "am i doing this right?"

the dark-haired girl turned around, and watch the brunet mash the substance.

"that's not whisking, that's mashing," elena pointed out, "this is how you whisk."

she put her hands on top of zach's, and showed him the simple technique, "see? it's easy-peasy."

zach grinned at the feeling of elena's hands on top of his, and he continued to whisk the ingredients together. once they were sufficiently combined, he poured it into the pan with the chicken, and elena stirred the marinade with the meat. the two put the food in a serving dish, and placed it on the dining table.

"this looks like a job well done," zach declared, high-fiving the girl.

"indeed," elena agreed.

"now we can watch disney+," zach remarked, running over to the couch.

the two went in the same position that they were in a few weeks prior. elena's head laid on zach's chest, and he had his arm snug around her body as a white fleece blanket covered them. their legs intertwined together, and they quickly fell asleep atop of each other.

until myta woke them up for dinner.

...

a / n :

a cute little zalena filler :,)