fifty-three ☆ this is my nana and poppy

FEBRUARY
of twenty-twenty

narrator's pov.

"hey!" daniel called out from his car, watching june head into hers, "where are you going?"

"to school... like a normal person," june answered, "shouldn't you be going to school too?"

"it's president's day. we're off from school," daniel pointed out.

"oh, shoot, really?" june asked, looking at the calendar on her phone, "wait, where are you going?"

"i just came back from courtney's café," daniel declared, "hey, uh, want to hangout?"

"well, i have nothing better to do," june agreed, shrugging her shoulders.

the blond boy unlocked the door to his house, and the two were surprised to see people in the living room. they both weren't expecting anybody to be home.

"nana? poppy?" daniel asked, opening the door with a grin on his face.

he didn't know that his grandparents were visiting, and he immediately ran over to them and gave the two a big hug.

"june, this is my nana and poppy," daniel declared, introducing her to his grandparents.

"hi, i'm june," the brunette greeted, sticking her hand out to shake them.

"who do you think we are... the president?" nana dorothy laughed, opening her arms to embrace june, "i'm dorothy, and that's bernard. bernie for short."

"it's very nice to meet you two," june remarked, moving closer to daniel to mumble something to him, "daniel, you didn't tell me i'd be meeting your grandparents today."

"hey, i didn't know either," daniel mentioned, "nana, poppy, what are you guys doing here? and where are mom and dad?"

"we stopped by since we heard they are out of town," poppy bernard answered.

"daniel, you didn't tell us you had a girlfriend!" nana dorothy pointed out, tugging on june's arm.

the blond boy awkwardly chuckled, "nana, uh, she's not my girlfriend."

"oh, whoops," nana dorothy remarked, "alright, let's do something fun while we're here."

"ooh, can we watch a movie?" poppy bernard requested.

"how about, oh fiddlesticks, what's that movie we like again?" nana dorothy asked, digging through her memories for the movie title.

"willy wonka & the chocolate factory?" daniel asked, looking through the dvd collection in the bin underneath the television.

"yes! that's the one," poppy bernard remarked, "let's watch it."

"i hate that movie," nana dorothy groaned.

"what do you mean, dorothy, you just said you wanted to watch it!" poppy bernard brought up.

"i did?" nana dorothy asked, "fiddlesticks, i did, didn't i? oh well. daniel, sweetie, can you please play the movie?"

"i'm already on it, nana," daniel laughed, taking the dvd for willy wonka & the chocolate factory out of its case.

nana dorothy and poppy bernard continued to talk about the movie, and june moved closer to daniel and watched him set it up, "your grandparents are so cute."

"if anything, they act more like children than old people," daniel chuckled, "we'll be babysitting them all day long."

the movie began to play, and poppy bernard sat farthest to the left followed by nana dorothy, june, and daniel.

"back in my day, this was the movie that all the teenagers requested at the drive in theater," nana dorothy stated, "now y'all just watch your movies on that thing... what is it called? i think it's called netflix. what's a netflix? is it a new movie theater?"

june laughed, "no, nana dorothy. netflix is this streaming platform where you can access a bunch of movies, and all you need is a subscription."

"i have no idea what she just said," poppy bernard whispered to nana dorothy, both of them laughing uncontrollably.

daniel and june looked over at the two elders snickering with each other, and that made them laugh as well. daniel mumbled, "see, i told you this would be just like babysitting."

miraculously, both nana dorothy and poppy bernard stayed awake the entire movie, often making comments about how ludicrous some parts were. daniel and june were having their own fun by laughing at everything nana dorothy and poppy bernard joked about.

"daniel, honey, could you make us some tea?" nana dorothy requested.

"make sure mine has extra honey!" poppy bernard declared, watching daniel and june head to the kitchen.

despite the fact they are both clueless about technology, the two elders scrolled through their phones. june assisted daniel in making the tea for his grandparents.

"i have an idea," june remarked, rummaging through daniel's pantry to find the maple syrup.

"what are you going to do with that?" daniel inquired, mixing the hot water and the tea packets together.

"trust me. maple syrup and black tea go very well together," june stared, adding a teaspoon of the sweetener to both mugs filled with tea.

the brunette brought the mugs over to nana dorothy and poppy bernard, and watched as they both took sips.

"daniel, this tastes different," poppy bernard pointed out.

"actually, poppy bernie, i changed up the recipe a bit," june declared, "it's maple syrup with black tea."

nana dorothy smacked her lips, "this is tasty, june! i'm going to ask for my tea to be like this all the time."

poppy bernard placed the tea down on the small table next to him, and yawned, "i'm going to rest my eyes for a few minutes."

just after a few seconds, both poppy bernard and nana dorothy were knocked out. loud snores erupted from their mouths, and june remarked, "honestly, i'm kind of tired too. i got, like, four hours of sleep last night because i thought we had school today."

june laid next to nana dorothy, and rested her head on her shoulder. daniel went to the laundry room and grabbed a fuzzy blue blanket. he gently laid it on top of june's body, and sat next to her as he watched her fall asleep. daniel admired how peaceful she looked, and even asleep, she was still stunning to him.

nana dorothy's eyes fluttered open, and she noticed daniel staring at the brunette. she whispered, "you're in love with her, aren't you?"

"honestly, nana, i fell in love with her practically at first sight," daniel recalled.

"daniel, sweetie, why don't you just ask her to go on a date with you?" nana dorothy suggested.

daniel sighed, "she has a boyfriend."

"that's too bad, honey, i think you guys would be great together," nana dorothy pointed out.

"me too," daniel mumbled, falling asleep next to june.

nana dorothy fell back asleep as well, but june's eyes slowly opened.

daniel is in love with me?, she thought.

...

a / n :

thank you dearly to brianna for
the inspiration on this chapter (: