FORTY FOURTH INSTALMENT

Grant and I had been dating for months. It was nice to have someone around you could speak with. I didn't tell him much of my past as I never have been able to say the words of what had happened. We went on dates and we always had Ava with us.

The day of Ava's name giving arrived. I had chosen 2 god mothers and a god father. First god mother was Melissa (my karate sister and the one person I thought I could trust). Second was Viv and the god father was Viv's husband. We had quite a few people coming most of them where friends I had made after I moved and the only person from my home town was Melissa.

My Nan and Pa also came and he was so proud.

That morning before everyone arrived I heard the familiar sound of Jay's car. He had pulled up across the road from our house. Viv, her husband, Grant, Barry and mum were all inside.

I had had enough at this stage. I was sick of being afraid . I was sick of him threatening my family. All that was going through my mind at the time was 'if he's going to do it he can do it now'. So stupidly I opened the door. Mum tried to pull me back inside and Grant, Viv and her husband said "Emily! Let us deal with it". I was having none of it. I pushed them all away and said "this is up to me, I have to deal with this. If he tries anything call the cops".

Jay was standing behind the car of the other side of the road. As I crossed the road he said "takes some balls to come out here" I just walked straight up to him and said " if your going to do it do it now" by this stage I was yelling. I was so scared but I really had had enough.

He pushed me and I fell backwards. He was calling me every name under the sun. I told him he was being extremely immature and that he needed to get a life. This CHAT if you can call it that went on for about 10 minutes. Finally I decided I had had enough of his insults and I don't know where it came from but I punched him in the face. I was furious this had been building up for ages.

He had blood coming from his noise and I felt a small weight lift of my shoulders I thought to myself 'if this is the last thing I do I will be happy' as he moved forward and believe me he was not happy and I knew I was in trouble, I heard a police siren. Mum had called the police. They pulled up beside us. Jay started shouting how he want to charge me for assault. " look what she did to my face" he spat at the police. I just stood there. The first officer just said " I can't see anything" whilst the second asked his full name and why he was breaking his restraining order.

The first officer grabbed Jay by the back of his shirt whilst the second grabbed the back of his pants. They lifted him off the ground and went to throw him in the back of the paddy wagon. "Oops" the first officer said as Jay's head collided with the doors of the paddy wagon. They hadn't opened them and when they threw him it was with a bit of force and the top of his head collided badly. Jay started screaming at them and swearing. The first officer held Jay whilst this time the second officer opened the back doors. They again grabbed him and threw him in the back, this time his head hit the front wall. They slammed the doors behind him and then came to talk with me.

They asked what had happened and I told them everything. They were aware of Jay due to past complaints by my family and me and also from our detective friend in our home town, they told me that we would have to go to court and under no circumstance was I to admit I hit him. He fell when he was resisting arrest. I truly am not good at lying though I would try in this instance.

They drove off and Jay's car stayed parked outside.

All of my family and friends arrived and the naming day continued. Ava was in a beautiful white and gold gown that mum had made. I still have it to this day and hope that she will use it if she ever has children.

My Pa cried during the ceremony he was so proud. It truly was beautiful. Grant was also happy to be there.

Not a word was spoken about Jay that day it really wasn't the right time. I was so happy with how the day went.

Everyone had gone by about 10pm. Viv, her husband and Grant stayed over as they didn't want to go anywhere whilst Jay's car was parked outside. They knew he wouldn't put up with what I had done and I knew it also. He moved his car early in the morning I know because the police escorted him away.

A few days later we went to court. Jay was dressed really well. I attended with mum, Barry and Viv. The police prosecutor was a lovely man and the police chief from the station also came along with the other officers from the station who had arrested him.

We went in to court and I had to sit up and tell the judge what had happened. I explained everything and just omitted the fact I had hit him until the judge asked me directly. I couldn't lie and I said "he pushed me and I hit him, I have never done that before for fear of him killing me" I said. "What was different this time" the judge asked. " I wanted it to stop if he was going to do it I wanted it done and to be honest if it was the last think I did I would be happy, knowing I stood up just for a second" the judge didn't comment he just got me to go and sit with my family.

Jay lied through his teeth the entire time he was there. He said I have never threatened her or her family etc, etc. the judge saw straight through him. He extended the AVO for another 2 years and put him on a 2 year good behaviour bond. Well I knew this wouldn't stop him.

That afternoon the police chief drove us home. He came in and had a cup of tea. He told me he only needed 10 minutes alone with Jay and he would never annoy us again. I wish this could have happened so we could be safe but I knew it couldn't.

Grant came and stayed over for about a week. One night we went out for a lovely dinner and mum watched Ava. Whilst we were eating he said "Emily, I know you're young and you probably would say no but will you marry me?". I was in shock. I just looked at him as he opened a little ring box. Inside that box was a single diamond ring. The diamond was set high atop of the gold setting. I was later to find out it was 1 carat.

I said "you'll have to ask my mum and dad" he told me he already had and that they would support me no matter what I decided. They both seemed to like him. Well that was it I was going to marry Grant...