EIGHTY FIFTH INSTALMENT

When I woke the day of Rhonda's arrival Ava was not in our room. I jumped up trying to establish where I was then it dawned on me, Darwin and this was the day my little brother needed me most.

As I made my way up the stairs I could hear voices and smelt bacon cooking. Barry had the BBQ on the veranda going and was cooking a hot breakfast for us all. Ava was sitting at the table waiting patiently for her breakfast. I gave Ava a huge and kiss and made my way out to Barry. His face said it all. Today was the day he found out everything.

Whilst at the table there was not a lot of talking we just ate our breakfast and I could see Barry was trying to prepare himself.

Rhonda was to arrive in an hour. I didn't want to ask Barry if he wanted me to come with him to pick her up as this was his day. I know I wanted to be there for him with all my heart though.

"Emily, She arrives in an hour" Barry stated.

" I know mate"

"Do you want to come with me to pick her up?" I never expected Barry to ask so of course I was going to go with him. This was his way of asking me to be with him today.

"Of course I will come with you Barry. Tina is it OK if Ava stays with you?"

"No problem" Tina replied. She looked at Ava and rubbed her hand.

"Aunty Tina and Ava can go for a swim. Would you like that Ava? We will have so much fun"

"Yesss" screeched Ava so very excited about the pool. Ava continued to talk to Tina about all the things they could do in the pool.

We finished our breakfast and I cleared the plates then headed off to get ready for Barry's big moment. I didn't know what to expect from him or Rhonda. All I knew was that I had to be there for my little brother. When I was finished dressing I went out to the car where Barry was waiting with the motor running. We travelled to the meeting point in silence. I could tell he was nervous and this was his time to think.

Whilst waiting for Rhonda to arrive I looked at Barry. I could tell there were a million questions swirling around in his head. I could only imagine what they would be, I knew though that very soon I would find out.

"You'll be fine Barry. Remember what ever happens it will happen for a reason" were the only words that were spoken on our wait. We waited for some time then Barry grabbed my hand and squeezed it. I looked out the window and there coming towards us was the same Rhonda I had known all those years ago...

Barry let go of my hand and got out of the car. I opened my door and stood beside the car. He walked slowly towards Rhonda and she towards him. Barry was dressed in a surf shirt and shorts he look comfortable. When there eyes met I saw a smile come across Rhonda's face. This smile screamed out "I love you, I missed you" I couldn't see Barry's face at this stage as he was walking away from me. When they finally came together they embraced for what felt like an eternity. Barry grabbed Rhonda's bag and they headed back towards me. As they came closer I could see Barry's face. He looked strange.. His face is hard to e plain but he was a man in love but he was also hurting. It looked like he wanted to scream out all the questions he had deep inside right there and right then and he was struggling but he didn't.  I hugged Rhonda when she got to the car.

"I have missed you" I whispered in her ear as we held each other.

" I missed you too" Rhonda replied very softly and meekly. At this moment I knew she had changed. Something had happened to this beautiful woman that had broken her. I knew those eyes.. They are the eyes of the broken. Hers however had almost nothing left, they were almost empty. Just like someone who has had they soul removed. It scared me a little to be honest.