EIGHTH INSTALMENT

Arthur tried to come around several times after this. My mum threw a party every year for our birthdays. On my 10th birthday my mum had a really good friend come over (Julie) I had grown up with her daughter (Shel). I had all my friends there a couple I had know since moving up from Sydney. I will name one in particular as he will become a big part of my story as we go along his name was Nigel (I haven't changed his name as it is too important to keep it the same, I can not make a name up for him. This is the one and only time this will happen during my story but you will see why later on).

Mum was inside with Julie, our neighbour and all of us kids were out the back playing in our clown water sprinkler. When the water was on the hat went up and when you ran through it the hat dropped, the game was to run through and not get hit by the hat. We were all having such a great time.

Mum had set a table up on the back veranda with party food. After a while of playing in the water mum called us all so I could cut the cake. When I got to the veranda the best cake was sitting on the table. Mum had made me a barbie doll cake. All the candles were lit and just as I went to blow out the candle there was a huge bang inside the house. Mum ran in to see what it was and it was Arthur he had banged the door open. He started yelling at mum and ranting saying he wanted her back etc. Julie came running out the back and took all of us out the side gate and around the corner to her house. I was so scared and all the other kids had no idea what was happening. Julie called all the parents and asked them to pick their children up from her house. All I could do was cry, Barry was trying to make sure I was ok. Julie came and sat with me and said

"everything will be ok Emily. You can't cry on your birthday" I was so worried about my mum. All the kids got picked up pretty quickly but Nigel and Shel were with me still.

Shel asked me to go outside and play on her trampoline. When we got there we jumped up so we could see my house as this is what Shel used to do all the time. She would jump up and call out to me. I could see anything. A few hours had passed and the phone rang. Julie said

"Barry, Emily your mum called and she wants you too come home everything is ok". Julie packed us in her car and drove us there. When we got there Arthur was inside sitting on the lounge. I couldn't even look at him as he had ruined my birthday and I really didn't like him.

Arthur moved back in that day, I am not sure why but I think mum always tried to see the best in people and gave them a second and third chance.

Everything seemed to go well for a few months and Mum and Arthur brought a house together on the other side of town just near the river. It was a very nice area.

Before leaving our house to go to the new house I went up to the shop with a friend of mine (Carole). we were always trying to be older than we were.

Mum used to sometimes send Barry and I up to the shop to get milk or cigarettes for her and she would always give us a little extra to get some lollies.

This time Carole and I were going to buy cigarettes but not for my mum. We got to the shop with Carole's money and brought the cigarettes. The guys at the shop never questioned me as I usually got them for my mum. When we started walking back I said to Carole

"if my mum comes I am going to throw these in the bush and jump in after them" Carole agreed and not one minute later mums car came up over the hill. Well I can tell you I threw the bag so far in to the bush but did not get in on time. The car screeched to a stop and mum came running over. Mum said

"what are you two doing up here?" I tried to lie but like mum always told me I couldn't lie straight in bed. She then asked what I had thrown into the bush. I said

"Nothing". Mum walked over the the area I had thrown the bag and found it. Well let's just say I was in trouble big time. Mum put us both in the car and she didn't say a word. All the way to Carole's house I tried to say we had brought them for someone else. Mum was not buying this. Carole got out of the car and mum took me home. She made me smoke the whole packet and I was so sick. ( I must admit this is something I probably would have done to try and deter my child also). It worked though I didn't smoke again..... until High School lol.

We moved to our new house and it was fantastic. So big and a huge back yard. It was a bit of a walk from our school but we didn't have to catch a bus anymore and it wasn't long before I started High School and it was just around the corner.

The only problem with our new house was that Arthur's mother and his brother lived 6 houses down and his brother was also an alcoholic.

Every afternoon Arthur's brother would be at our house and he would get rolling drunk...

We had a house warming party at our house and so many of Arthur's friends were there. Mum didn't have any of her friends over as Arthur didn't like mums friends ( he didn't like that they supported her and told her she could do so much better).

This night all the adults were out on our back veranda playing cards and having a few drinks. One of Arthur's friends who was introduced to me said to call him uncle Pat (not his real name). He seemed really nice he would tickle me and make me laugh.

Mum put the tv on for Barry and I so we didn't have to be around the adults. She got us a plate of chips and drink so we could have our own little party.

I got bored a few hours later and went back out. Mum went back in side for a minute and everyone was busy chatting when Uncle Pat said

"Emily come and sit on my lap" I did what I was told. He them said give uncle Pat a kiss so I went to kiss him on the cheek and the sick man kissed me on the lips and put his tongue down my throat. He held my head so tightly I could pull away. No one saw this as they were all drunk and busy chatting. He must have heard my mum coming as he stopped and pushed me off his lap. I just stood there not able to comprehend what had happened to me. I was only about 11 at this stage. I was frozen with fear. Mum came out and told me to go inside and that she would tuck me to to bed. I turned and walked inside. Mum followed me. I kept looking behind me to make sure the Uncle Pat was not there. We went to the lounge room and got Barry. Mum told me to go to my room but I would not leave her side. I don't know why but I felt like it was my fault that this had happened and I didn't want to tell mum as I didn't want to get in trouble ( crazy though as my mum probably would have tried to kill him if she knew). After tucking in Barry mum took me to my room. I got in to my bed (I had a double bed) and mum tucked me in. After she left I got out of my bed and went in to Barry's room. I didn't tell him what happened but I told him I was scared and asked if I could sleep in his room. He tried to calm me and find our what had happened but I wouldn't say and he didn't push me. I got in to the top bunk and felt so much safer. Not long after I heard someone go to my room. I can't say who it was as I was in the top bunk in Barry's room but it wasn't my mum as she would have come in to see where I was. I am so glad I went to Barry's room that night....

⚡️⚡️Author Notes ⚡️⚡️

Thank you for taking the time to read my life story.

If you like please feel free to vote by clicking the ⭐️ and comment. I will respond to any comments.

If you don't want to miss an Instalment follow me xx Emily xx