THIRTY FIRST INSTALMENT

The morning of Jay's court case had arrived. He was in a terrible mood. This morning he beat me again because it was my fault he had to go to court. Did I beat someone 'No'.

It got really bad but my saving grace was that I knew he had to leave. Before Jay had to leave I told him "I hate you! I am leaving" to my surprise he grabbed my clothes and threw them over the top of the stairs (veranda) and they scattered all over the front lawn. He was now out the front screaming at me the exact words I can't remember but he was blaming me for all his problems and the fact that he had to go to court. He kept coming in and screaming in my face and grabbing my shaking me violently. His final act was to throw me across the room. " you never loved me" he screamed. I was crying and in an instant he changed his tune
"please don't leave Emily! Everything I do I do for you!".
"Jay you have to go or you will get arrested, I won't leave" I said to try and get him out, I was lying but it was the only way I could see to escape. He kissed me and I did my best not to be sick. I told him "good luck today" and he walked out and got in the car.

I waited till I could no long hear his car and rushed to the phone. I dialled the only number I truly knew of by heart.

The phone rang and rang then finally it was answered
"Mum can you come and get me"
were the words that came out between my tears.
"Emily! What's wrong?"
"just come and get me please mum I don't have long" I cried.
"Where are you" mum asked.
"I'm at Jay's please hurry".
The phone went to the engaged tone, mum had hung up.

I fell to the floor and could not stop crying. Finally I pulled myself together and went to the bedroom to make sure there was nothing there. I then went out the front, closed the door and waddled my way down the stairs. I walked around picking up my clothes and moving them closer to the road so that I could just throw them in mums car and get out of there.

Mum arrived and pulled up out the front. She jumped out of the car and ran over to me. She had tears in her eyes and all she could say is "are you ok sweat heart?".
"mum we have to go quickly!" She told me to get in the car and threw all my clothes in the back of the car and drove me home.

When we arrived home mum got all my clothes and brought them inside. She went to the kitchen and put the kettle on and made us both a cup of tea. Mum washed all my clothes this day.

"Emily, what happened?" I told her a little and that the only way I could escape was because Jay had to go to court over beating Dan. Mum didn't push me about the rest. She told me to go and have a lay down. I walked in to my room and felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders. I flopped down on my bed and couldn't believe how comfortable my bed was compared to that horrid fold out mattress/ lounge that Jay had.

When I woke I could hear mum, Arthur and Barry talking. Mum walked in to my room and told me dinner was ready to come out when I was ready. I got myself up and walked out to the table. No one said anything. Mum asked Barry how his day was but apart from that we really didn't talk. After dinner I went to do the dishes but Mum told me to go and sit down and watch some television.

I sat on our double sofa that was under our front windows. I heard a noise that sent a chill threw my bones. Jay's car speeding up the road. I was too scared to look out but I had too. When I looked out the front of my house it was dark, parked behind our big jacaranda tree was Jay's car with the drivers lights on and the brake lights were really bright. I could see him standing on the curb staring in. I was so scared as I knew exactly what he was capable of doing. I started to cry and mum came in and saw me.
"what's wrong Emily?" She asked.
"He's here Mum". Mum walked to the door and opened it, she was going out to face Jay, she was not happy. I jumped up and grabbed her and said "mum please you don't know what he is capable of".
"I don't care Emily, I am going to sort this out". As mum went to go down the stairs Jay got in the car and sped off.

When we all went to bed that night I heard Jay's car again. This time it sounded like he had parked up the side road. I could here footsteps coming down the side of the house. I froze in my bed.

I wish I could draw my house for you. I did explain the back of my house in an earlier instalment but I will do it again.

If you are looking at the back of my house from the yard under our house on the left is a garage on the right are steps that go up to our veranda. At the top of the steps directly to you right is our toilet, straight ahead was the back door. As you get to the top of the stairs and turn left onto our veranda just to your right is Barry's room. He has a window that slides up like all the window in our house to the left of Barry's room was the bathroom with a window and then you walk in to the beer room as you walk in and look right you see my room with a window and a glass door.

I heard someone walking up the stairs out the back then along the veranda. The beer room door opened. I laid very still in my bed. The head of my bed covered the lower part of the window. Someone shone a light in through my window. There was a mirror on the wall at the base of my bed so the light shone straight in and reflected in to my eyes. I dare not move.

Everyone was asleep in our house as it was early in the morning. I was petrified. I knew who it was. It was Jay. He tapped on the window but I did not move. Then he walked out and he ran down the back stairs and up the side of our house. I could heard him talking to someone. Then I heard his car drive off.

I didn't sleep that night. I heard everyone out in the dining room. Barry was staying home this day as mum had to go out and she didn't want to leave me. She got in our four wheel drive and drove off. Not long after she ran in side and called Arthur "the wheel is loose on the car, can you come home and have a look". Jay had loosened the wheel nuts on mums car. She could have been killed if she didn't realise that something didn't feel right when she drove it. I knew it was him.

My cousin Layla came to visit this day. Mum had told Layla what had been happening and why I was home. Layla asked if I wanted to come and stay with her for a while. I agreed as Jay had no idea where she lived.

But he would soon find out ...