FORTY FIRST INSTALMENT

Sitting there at that table with this stranger I felt a little uncomfortable. The one thing I could think was 'Viv would not let anyone hurt me, so he must be ok'.

He did most of the talking and flirting. He was 24 and I was going to be 17 soon. Grant was a submariner and worked with Viv's fiancé. He seemed to be really nice. His family owned a beef cattle farm on the north coast. We spoke for about an hour before mum came back. It was nice to know there was someone showing me some attention after all Jay had told me I would never find anyone after having a baby.

We all went back to Viv's after eating dinner and Grant and I continued to talk. When everyone was in bed asleep we were still talking about everything and anything. I didn't speak of Jay but he had been told by Viv a little of what had been happening.

The next day Mum, Barry and I returned home. We were planning Ava's naming day ceremony that would be held in a few months.

I didn't mention in any of my last instalments but on Ava's birth certificate she did not have Jay's name on there. I did not declare the father. So in that spot it was blank. It may sound bad but if he could do what he did when I was pregnant what would he do when she was born. He told me many times that he would kill me and her if he couldn't have us no one could.

The weeks passed and I had a call from Viv.

"Emily, Grant really likes you." She said. I was a little excited by this.

"You need to call a cab and come over" she continued.

"I can't catch a cab Viv it's too expensive" I replied.

"No Emily, you have to come over Grant is going to pay for it, he wants to see you again".

I covered the phone and asked mum if she would be ok. She said "go, and have fun". I told Viv I would call one soon.

As soon as I got of the phone I skipped into my room and changed about 4 times. I did my hair and makeup, got Ava's clothes ready and cuddled her in to her baby capsule. The taxi arrived and mum gave us a big hug " stay safe and have fun" she said before we walked out of the door.

Whenever we walked out that door we looked around. You just never could tell if Jay would be there or not.

The drive seemed to take forever as it was peek hour traffic. When we arrived Grant was standing out the front of the units. He had been waiting and I'm sure he would have been there a while. While I was getting Ava out of the taxi Grant went and paid the taxi driver. He then rushed over to help me with Ava. Instead of grabbing her bag he grabbed her capsule. This made me smile because if anyone ever wanted to be more than friends they had to accept Ava as we came as a package.

That night he paid for dinner and we talked again. Viv and her fiancé went out and left us to talk. This was defiantly a setup. Grant was really nice and saying all the right things. He reached out and held my hand. I pulled away the first time. We talked all night. Ava laid beside me in a bassinet as we spoke. Viv had pulled out a mattress for me to sleep on and Grant was to sleep on the lounge.

In the early hours of the morning Grant came any laid down beside me. He touched my hand and I felt a chill but this time I didn't move it away. We just talked and talked until I fell asleep. I woke with him holding me in his arms. I didn't move I just laid there.

The next morning I decided to go home to be with mum just in case Jay came back. Grant asked if he could spend the day with us, so we all got in another taxi and drove home. Mum was waiting and she rushed out and grabbed Ava. She was so happy to see her.

Mum and Ava have a bond that can never be broken. Ava was always her favourite and she would lay down her life for Ava. Ava always came first no matter what. I admired this love. Mum, Barry and I all had a bond as well but the first grand child always is special.

That day we just watched movies all day and Grant offered to pay for dinner so again we ordered in. He left late that night in a taxi. I didn't want him to go but he didn't want to disrespect my mum. I have to give it to him.

The next day he called and we spoke for ages. He said he had to go to sea for 2 months but would really like to see me before he went he wanted to take us all out. He told us to get in a taxi and he would pay and meet him near Viv's pub.

We all got in the cab with no idea where we were going this day.

When we arrived Grant was no where to be seen so we sat and waiting. After about an hour I saw him walking up the road. "Emily!" He yelled as he ran towards me. He reached out and held me. "Let's go" he said with a smile.

We got in another taxi and went to circular quay. There we got on a ferry and crossed the harbour. This was one of the most amazing things I had ever done. Going past the grand mansions that kissed the harbour. The water splashing and them you turn and see the harbour bridge and the opera house, so amazing. The breeze on my face and every now and then a splash I water. I hadn't felt so free in a long time.

When we got to our destination I smiled. Grant was taking is to taronga zoo. We spent the entire day there. He pushed the pram and took my hand. We had photos taken on this day also. It was a really nice day. Then we left as the zoo had closed. We got back on the ferry for that wonderful, peaceful trip. He lent in and whispered in my ear "I really like you Emily" then he kissed me on the cheek. A little butterfly crept up inside me...