45. Boggarts

We were all stood in the defense classroom as a wardrobe stood in front of us. It shook randomly as if it heled a wild animal inside of it. The desks had all been cleared out as we waited for our lesson.

"Intriguing, isn't it?" Lupin asked as he walked towards the front of the class. "Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what is inside?"

"That's a boggart, that is," Dean said.

"Very good, Mr. Thomas," Lupin told him. "Now, can anyone tell me what a boggart looks like?"

"No one knows," I about jumped out of my skin as Hermione appeared next to me.

"When did she get here?" Ron looked just as confused as I was.

"Boggarts are shapeshifters," Hermione continued on, ignoring Ron. "They take the shape of whatever a particular person fears the most. That's what makes them so-"

"So terrifying. Yes," Lupin continued for her. "Luckily, a very simple charm exits to repel a bogart. Let's practice it now. Uh, without wands, please. After me: Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus," We repeated back.

"Very good," Lupin told us as the wardrobe shook more, casuing us in the front to take a small step back. "A little louder and very clear. Listen. Riddikulus."

"Riddikulus!" We spoke louder this time.

"Very good! Well, so much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a boggart is... laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing. Let me explain," Lupin looked us over before his eyes landed on one person. "Uh, Neville. Will you join me, please?"

Neville looked like he was about to shit his pants when he was called upon. Looking around in hopes that maybe there was another Neville in this class.

"Come on. Don't be shy," Lupin said in an encouraging voice as Neville made his way to the front. "Neville, what frightens you most of all?"

Neville mumbled something under his breath that no one had caught.

"Sorry?" Lupin asked in clarification.

"Professor Snape," Neville said a bit more loudly.

"Professor Snape," Lupin repeated as we all let out a little laugh. "Yes. Frightens all. And I believe you live with your grandmother."

"Y-Yes. But I don't want that Boggart to turn into her either," Neville said, earning a few more laughs.

"No," Lupin said as the wardrobe shook again. "It won't. I want you to picture her clothes- only her clothes- very clearly in your mind."

"She carries a red handbag," Neville told him.

"We don't need to hear," Lupin said. "As long as you can see it, we'll see it. Now, when I open that wardrobe, here's what I want you to do." Lupin got closer to Neville as he whispered something into his ear. "Can you do that? Yes. Wand at the ready. One... two... three."

Lupin opened the wardrobe as he took a step back. The door pushed open as Snape came walking out, giving the poor boy a sinister look.

"Riddikulus!" Neville had so much confidence as he yelled it out.

I watched in amazement as the Boggart turned into Snape wearing a tight green dress, some fishnet hand warmers, a fox scarf, and a hat with a giant bird on it. And let's not forget the iconic red handbag.

We all laughed so hard we were in stitches as the Boggart looked so confused as to what was going on. If only it were the real professor Snape.

"Wonderfull, Neville! Wonderful!" Lupin praised him. "Incredible. Okay. To the back, Neville. Everyone, form a line!" Everyone started to push and shove as they wanted a go at the Boggart. "Now, I want everyone to picture what the fear the most and turn it into something... funny."