36. Bad Word

News had broken fast through the castle about Harry and Ron's fabulous car adventure. Even made some muggle news, which got them in quite a bit of trouble. We were all shocked they didn't get kicked out, only some detention. This was definitely going on their top five stupidest things they have done.

Today was our first day back in classes as we stood in the greenhouse ready for our herbology class.

"Good morning, everyone!" Professor Sprouts said as she came to stand in front of all of us.

"Good morning, Professor Sprouts," We all called back.

"Welcome to Greenhouse Three, second years," She announced. "Now gather around, everyone. Today, we're going to re-pot Mandrakes. Who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake root?" As the superstar she was, Hermione raised her hand into the air. "Yes, Miss Granger?"

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been Petrified to their original state," Hermione said.

I looked down at the plant in front of me. How many people have been petrified to the point they had to make an antidote? How does one even get petrified?

"It's also quite dangerous," Hermione continued. "The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it."

The fuck?

"Excellent 10 points to Gryfindor," Professor Sprouts said. "Now, as our Mandrakes are still only seedlings, their cries won't kill you yet, but they could knock you out for several hours, which is why I've given each of you a pair of earmuffs for auditory protection. So could you please put them on right away? Quickly. Flaps tight down and watch me closely."

I did exactly as she told me as I did not wish to die today from a plant screaming into my ear.

"You grasp your Mandrake firmly..." She said, taking hold of the plant. "You pull it sharply up out of the pot..."

Everything else was lost as the high pitched screams still reached my ears. All I saw next was Sprouts placing it back into the pot as she reseeded it, and the screams stopped.

I looked over across the table as Neville fainted.

"Longbottom's been neglecting his earmuffs," Sprots said with a sigh.

"No, ma'am, he's just fainted," Seamus informed her.

"Yes, well, just leave him there," Sprouts said. "Right on, here we go."

-----------------------------------------------

Now that the first day was over, I was just trying to relax as I took in the amount of homework they had given us today. Everyone was chatting about as we tried to all talk at once about our summers. It safe to say the first month of school is just talking about what you did the three months you were out of school.

Ron, however, was trying to mend his wand with a bit of tape, as he broke it the night before.

"Say it, I'm doomed," Ron sighed as he looked at his wand.

"You're doomed," Harry told him as I nodded my head.

"Hi, Harry!" A fash went off over my shoulder as I turned around to see a very excited first-year boy with a wizard camera in his hands. "I'm Colin Creevey. I'm in Gryffindor too."

"Hi, Colin. Nice to meet you," Harry said, being polite.

A screeching noise I could detect from anywhere sounded in the distance. Oh no.

"Ron, is that your owl?" Dean asked next to me.

We all looked in horror as Errol came crashing into the food at full speed. How this owl was still alive, I have no clue.