Part 44

Chapter 44

SARAH'S POV

'Ron!' I yelled, smiling widely as his face lit up. I wasn't too sure what had come over me but I didn't restrain myself as he embraced me. It was amazing that every time I "disappeared" they took me back without any question, were always so glad to see me back. A part of me took his down as part of my naturally persuasive traits but the other... My mind was full of different emotions, as though every emotion had their own person, all equally eager to be heard. As the blood traitor held me in his arms my emotions went so haywire that they made no sense whatsoever. I didn't let the feeling linger however, pushing him away with a flick of my hand.  

'Where was it this time?' the mudblood asked from over a book. 

'Malfoy Manor. Uncle Lucius needed to talk to me and Draco.' Hermione nodded absent-mindedly and went back to her book. Ron on the other hand, was staring at me, a look of surprise painted on his face. 

'About Milly?' he asked, 'It seemed like odd company for the Malfoy's to have, is that why you brought her here?' I flicked my eyes to Milly, laughing with a group of third years. She was happy to be in Gryffindor, to be with me. I sighed. 

'I promised to take her here okay? I don't break my word.' He snorted in response and walked to sit next to Hermione, prodding her with his wand in a furtive attempt to pry her attention from her book. She sighed and pushed him off the seat. A smile graced my lips and I walked to the girl's dorm, ignoring the giggling group of girls as I headed for my bed. Lily sat next to Milly as they shared some private joke. I hissed at the lot of them, collapsing on my bed as the trauma of the last couple of weeks flooding back to me. Snape telling me about his adoption of Lily, my promise to not tell my father about it, the way Draco looked at her when he arrived a day after me. We hadn't spoken since and that had really torn me up inside. He was my best friend, second only to Crade. Snape was also yet to talk to me, tensions still high between us. I was lonely and lost, lost within this colourful world, alone and lost. Without warning, tears like none I'd ever seen before slid down my cheeks, dampening the front of my cloak. They stopped as suddenly as they'd appeared but it was too late. Milly had left her group and had come to join me, for whatever reasons she still held in her head, reasons for still seeing me as good. And she'd watched in silence as I cried like the child I was before coming and sitting next to me, her hand on my back; a sign of compassion. I didn't understand the girl, not a single bit. No one that knew me -the "true" me- stayed with me, would comfort me like this girl was.  

'It's okay Sarah...' she soothed, 'can I help with anything?' she asked innocently. I was tempted I'll admit it, tempted to reveal everything that was wrong with my life and how lost I was. But it wasn't my nature to do something like that so I did exactly what I always did, slipping back into my normal self with ease. I stood, my shoulders back, and stormed out of the room. I heard Milly call from behind me and ignored her, proceeding to the portrait of the Fat Lady and climbed out without a backwards glance.

I thought momentarily about seeing Draco but dismissed it quickly, knowing full well how worried I still was about him and I, me and him. I sighed as I passed Nearly Headless Nick, my face a mask of pain. He looked at me sympathetically, floating down so he was level with me. 

'Something wrong Miss Malfoy?' he asked quietly. I shook my head. 'Are you sure? You look awfully glum for nothing to be wrong.' I glared at him but said nothing else. He continued to hover around me as I reached the near-deserted great hall, until he became bored of me and vanished. I sighed, relieved. 

I wasn't in the mood for talking, a headache was already forming and I didn't want to worsen it.

At the Slytherin table I spotted two guys, each as pudgy as the another. A smile cracked through the mask. Crabbe and Goyle, what fun.