Part 25

CHAPTER 25!!!

SARAH POV 

I am so frigging screwed, I thought, digging my fingers into my wrist as hard as I could. It wasn't natural, to have all this "tension" in me, all this anxiety. I pulled in a loud breath as the thick curtain in front of started to wobble, ready to crack. Snape looked at me, bewildered, and I wanted to kill him for this stupidity of his. And yet my father always spoke reasonably highly of him... Too late for any of that now, I though with a grimace as the veil opened to reveal an extremely shocked Dumbledore. I wanted to feel relieved that it wasn't Umbridge but I couldn't seem to manage it. Dumbledore in a way, was even scarier, the way he looked at you with those harsh blue eyes, the way his lips curled over his teeth in that "warm" smile.  

'Severus? What are you doing in my curtains?' He asked, his brow creasing in confusion. I chuckled softly as Snape begun to blush, his gaunt face filling with pink. Stupid, immature Snapey as always. I waited, expecting Snape to answer the man's question but, to my surprise, they both turned to me, all... expectantly.

SNAPE'S POV (I can't seem to avoid writing as him... so... Irresistible XD) 

I probably shouldn't have done that. Letting her speak...Bad idea. God knows what Dumbledore is going to think... Can't imagine it. What if he finds out, can make some sort of connection between her and the Dark Lord? Then, then I would be in some serious hippogriff shit. Sarah looked up at me, black eyes swimming with confusion. Somehow though, they still shone that eerie darkness that both her and Voldemort have in common. I tried to dissuade her from talking but she had already turned from me, severing the connection of our eyes. She stared blankly at Dumbledore before speaking. 

'I'm Sarah sir,' she muttered, beginning to draw out a hand in a welcome gesture. Dumbledore, being the over-loving fool he is, smiled graciously at her and took her small hand. They shook, not once Sarah looking up into Albus's eyes. I didn't understand at first but then the knowledge burst rudely into my skull. "Bloody hell Snape, help would be nice!" came the dark mental whine of Sarah, battering my mind. I bit my tongue in the intensity of the blow but still could not understand why this girl could delve into my only sanctuary without so much as a second glance. It was impossible, dangerous, for a child to wield that much power over people. But I still had a mission, whether I liked it or not; I had to keep her safe. I grabbed Sarah roughly by the shoulder and pushed her behind me. She hissed quietly but remained silent. 

'I'm sorry sir, I was merely curious. I thought you might have been in peril.' I said, praying he wouldn't see through my intentions. Well, I had been curious, just not in the way I made it seem. Albus nodded to himself, mulling over my lie. He looked at me and I knew he believed me, as well he should.  

'You know Severus, the humble door is usually the way people enter and exit rooms. You didn't think of doing the same?' he asked, blue eyes glittering under his glasses. He had me there, I'll admit it. I smiled, buying myself a snippet of time before continuing.  

'Yes Albus, it is but what if the person was on guard perhaps? It seemed more... Prudent for me to sneak in, just in case,' I muttered, hating myself. Dumbledore's eyes flickered a strange shade of anger and I instantly regretted my words.  

'Sarah? Would you mind waiting outside while Professor Snape and I talk? We'll only be a few minutes,' he said, waving a hand to the door. Sarah turned to me, a dark smirk adorning her face. She nodded and disappeared out of the heavy door. Dumbledore was watching me the whole time, as he walked around and sat at his desk. I sat on the opposite side, clasping my fingers with nervousness. He smiled encouragingly as he begun to talk, begun to speak the words I had been dreading. 

'Now Severus, do you honestly think I cannot handle myself? And to bring a student with you? Why, may I ask, did you choose to bring her here in the first place?' He enquired, sounding calmer than I had first assumed. I thought how best to answer, running his words over in my mind. 'Of course you can handle yourself. I apologize for my rudeness Albus,' I said, sounding genuinely sorry. He smiled warmly before asking me to continue. It took me a while to realize he wanted to know why Sarah was with me. I didn't know what to say so I just did the best I could. 

'Sarah came with me because... Because I believe she is a threat to Hogwarts.'