Part 49- Two

CHAPTER 49- PART TWO

SNAPE'S POV 

I sat down slowly, watching in a silent agony as the girl waltzed out, long black curls flickering in the firelight. I worried for her as she left, for the first time in a long time I was concerned for her safety. Was it stupid? Probably; It worried me still. She knew I think, knew that I was deadly serious about her switching sides... could she see that? I sighed and pulled open the paper I had taken from her before tapping it lightly with my wand.

The picture of Draco and Dolores Umbridge vanished, replaced by my thin writing that crowded page after page of the "magazine." I smiled, proud that I'd successfully hidden my diary from the person who'd be most likely to see through it. I looked at it again, running my eyes over my latest entry.  

This is what I had written;

Dear Lilly. 

I apologize for my neglect of you this past month- things have been... complicated, with your son and the rest concerning Sarah Riddle. I worry for her Lilly, more than I should. She thinks I can't see past those eyes of her father, those emotionless orbs. She's wrong Lilly, I can see past them, can see even into the eyes of Melanie, her mother. I need your help Lilly Evans, I need someone to protect your son whilst I do something I must if I wish to end Voldemort's hold on Sarah. She is pure like you Lilly, but tainted like Harry. But I have a new weapon my love, something not even her father would think of... 

I know where her mother is.  

My love always,  

Severus.

I reached out for my face, wiping away a few tears I had shed while contemplating what I was about to do.  

'This has lasted too long Lilly Evans, 15 years too long. You never loved me. Now it's time for me to give you up.' The words that came from me didn't sound like me, they sounded deep, 15 years too deep. I had to let her go.

Holding the battered diary in front of me, I cried a final few tears and set fire to the one thing that had been with me since the funeral. I had been there although I hadn't been invited, weeping from behind a tree. The diary had been with me even then.

The flames engulfed the thin pages of ink-strewn parchment until only a crumble of black ash lay in my hands and a small piece of melted gold in the middle. Lilly's ring, the one I was going to give her when I proposed. I was too late of course, she'd already found James Potter. My eyes flared red as though of him, of my past.

***

The sun had risen by the time I had pulled myself back into the breath of reality, the world where Lilly was gone, Voldemort was back and I had betrayed everyone I had ever cared about. By saving Sarah I hoped to regain some trust, some gratitude even. My mind wouldn't even focus on Potter or that dream of his. Melanie. I had to go get Melanie Redusi.

SARAH'S POV 

'I'm going out.' 

'To the manor?' 

'I'm going out,' I repeated, looking coldly at Draco, my eyes narrowed. He'd seemed a little on edge of late, constantly asking where I was going, what I was doing, who I was seeing.  

'Going where?' I groaned, pulling my shapeless muggle hoodie over my head.  

'Why does it matter?' I asked.  

'Because I... I got a letter from my Father, addressed to you, another add-on to your mission. I've kept it from you because... I don't want you to do it.'