Part 54

CHAPTER 54

SARAH'S POV 

As predicted, Dumbledore was waiting for me. He was in the griffindor common room for some reason, standing idly by the fire. He smiled as I walked in, extremely nervous.  

'Had fun?' he asked. I snorted.  

'If by fun you mean torture?'  

'I was surprised... Did Mr Malfoy return with you?' his words made my blood run cold.  

'He was... Injured.'

I expected Dumbledore to interrogate me further but he remained silent, his glistening eyes following me as I went up to the dorms.  

'Do you really wish to wake them? Miss Granger is already suspicious. You've come back at midnight. Even to muggles that isn't normality.' Damn, he had a point.  

'Where do you suggest I sleep then sir?' I asked.  

'Well... Minerva has a bed spare in her room. Either I inform her of who you are and let her decide or...' I groaned. 

'Is this blackmail?' Dumbledore eyed me sadly.  

'Not everything has a price Sarah. I want you to be safe here, like your father was before you.' I snarled despite myself.  

'You never gave him a fair chance! He never felt safe here!' I yelled. Dumbledore raised a withered finger to his lips. I fell silent.  

'You, like Miss Granger, are right. I tried to treat Tom like any I had taught before. It's fair to say, I suppose, that I failed. Once a wizard -or witch- decides to go down the path of dark there is no turning back.'

His words brought strange tears to my eyes. Was it too late for me? Should I just give up now? I hung my head.  

'Shhh,' Dumbledore whispered, 'it is never too late, not when true remorse is felt.' Remorse? I didn't feel sorry for what I had done. I reveled in other's pain, I- 

'Salazar. Salazar Slytherin was your ancestor. He was good, warped and twisted in matters of the mind, but good of heart. Your father is missing that goodness. But not you. Come with me Sarah Riddle, you need to get rest away from here.' I begun to shake my head, dreading the idea of Prof. McGonnagal seeing me for who I was. But then I smiled, thinking.  

'Can I sleep in the Chamber of Secrets?'  

'You know where it is?' Dumbledore asked in surprise.  

'Its instinct. I am the heir of Slytherin after all.' With a smile I grabbed the remainder of my stuff and begun to walk out. 

'May I accompany you?' My smile dropped but, losing any logic I had, I nodded.  

I really was going loony.

SNAPE'S POV 

'Are you okay Melanie?' I whispered, taking advantage of Remus and Tonks leaving to get some food. Sirius Black was up there somewhere too, but I had no wish to see him. I was content watching Melanie, content to bathe in her presence. She was incredible, soft but strong. Like Lilly...

'Are you okay Severus? Mr Snape?' I snapped by attention back to her, grimacing.  

'Fine.' 

'Really?' she sounded unconvinced.  

'Why do you care?' I shot back, struck with sudden anger I failed to comprehend. I saw her eyes flare and worried she was going to cry. But, then again, this woman was the mother of Sarah.  

'I often wondered about my daughter Severus. You brought me back into this world I hate and I'm pissed at you for bringing this side of my past back to me but, at the same time, I am grateful for you coming to save me.'