Part 6

This one is really short but it might be a while before I get a chance to upload again. Thanks for reading xx

CHAPTER SIX- THE SORTING

It's big, I thought as I entered the great hall. The roof was so awesome!! Even for magic, it was AMAZING. The sky roof was black and cloudy and I couldn't help but think that it might have something to do with my arrival. Potter and the rest of the Griffindors sat at the end table, the other 3 houses at the remaining tables. I found Draco in the sea of green and black. He gave me a nervous smile before shooting death glares at Potter. I smiled sheepishly back at him.

A resonably old teacher approached the altar and rested an old hat on a stool. What the hell? Oh.. The first years were sitting in front on me, on that cold hard floor. But I wasn't a first year... I sat down behind a gaggle of giggling girls as a wizened old wizard with a flowing white beard stepped up to address the school. So... This was Dumbledore.

'Welcome and welcome back,'He greeted everyone in an elegant voice. 'Now, not only do we have our firstyears among us for the first time... We also have a new fifth year student joining us this year. Let the sorting begin!' The loud cheering was deafening but I couldn't understand... He had told the whole school about my arrival. Why did he do that? He couldn't know who I was... But he was very intelligent.. Nah, he couldn't know. The old witch replaced Dumbledore at the podium, pushing her spectacles futher up her nose and begun...

'Malfoy, Sarah' She spoke with a voice that was clear of authority... Like my Fathers. It took me a while to understand she was talking to me. Fear sunk in, mixing with the butterflies. I gulped. Why did i have to be first? Life wasn't fair... I tried to walk confidently to the stool but was reduced to staggering with the impact of my nerves. I heard shock gasps from all around me. So, they obviously knew of Draco. I was most nervous about putting the hat on my head, lying to it, saying I wanted to be in Griffindor rather than with my ancestors. The old witch sat me down and placed the hat upon my head. I was shocked... The hat could speak.

'It's been a while since we were home to Slytherin's heir,' He said to me. How did he do that? He wasn't meant to know that!

'Oh child, don't you know? There's nothing in your head the sorting hat can't see.' He told me cheerfully. I was screwed. Mission was over. 'It's not like I can tell anyone Riddle... I'm bound by spells of secretcy, Voldemort Junior,' The hat snided. Fabulous, it had an attitude.

'But where to put you...' It went on,' You belong in Slytherin but we don't want you to be like your father now do we? No, that just wouldn't do... Well, what about Griffindor?'

Sure, I thought, Why not?

The hat cleared it's... throat? Wasn't too sure how that worked.

'Griffindor!' The hat yelled. But there was no clapping... The Slytherins drooped their heads. I wanted to as well... But then Dumbledore begun clapping; to a slow beat that soon most of the students and teachers joined in. Ron smiled at me and cleared a space for me next to him. I wanted to cry. Why couldn't I be with Draco? I BELONGED there, for Merlins sake! I was the great- something grandaughter of the Salazar Slytherin! I should be in his house. But I was stuck in this stupid house, full of "brave" wannabe heroes. Well.. at least father will be happy.

'Well done Malfoy!' Ron laughed, grinning stupidly at me. I hated this stupid charade... Already. But I had to keep going...

I smiled back at Ron.

'Please don't call me that or I swear I will bitch slap you until you're permantly red in the face,' I joked? He laughed but he got the threat underneath. Potter cut in with a laugh.

'Don't mind Ron, Sarah. He's just happy you're in Griffindor,' He said. The plates filled instantaneously with food. Now, THAT was cool. I piled the food up onto my plate, sneaking the occasional piece of meat into my pocket, where Crade was eating softly.

That night I ate way more than I should have, my insides swelling with pumpkin juice. It was fun though, eating as much crap as I wanted and not caring about anything.

After the feast, the girl and Ron led all the Griffindors to the common room, behind this ugly fat lady picture. Potter stood next to me talking about my timeable tomorrow. I smiled when I heard we had potions tomorrow with Severus Snape.

'Hey Sarah, the girls dorms are this side,' the Granger girl called, standing on the opposite flight of stairs than me. Whoops... I had followed Ron up to the boys dorm during my thinking period. I blushed and followednHermione, along with the midgets. She got all the first years settled before turning to me.

'You'll be next to me over here,' She said, pointing to a plain bed next to a a bed that reeked of cleanliness. She was a clean freak obviously... Just my bloody luck. This wouldn't happen if I was in Slytherin. I sighed and chucked my stuff on the bed. It would be a long night.

I hated clean freaks... with a passion. They were the only kind of people that could really get under my skin. I wasn't dirty as such, I still enjoyed hygenie, unlike Wormtail. He was sickly, always lolling around in his own filth. It disgusted my father and me to the extremes, I thought. I was lonely though. I hated knowing that my best friend was in this same castle but I couldn't see him. I didn't want to be here...

I stared out the window at the dark lake, so still it looked as though it was made of the thinnest glass. Once everyone else was snoozing quietly, I pulled Crade out of my pocket and spoke quietly to him. I told him of all my problems and he listened silently, only interrupting to comment or ask what something meant. His was my snippet of home, my only reminder of Father. Tears started to cascade down my cheeks, forming a puddle in my cloak. I cried for the better part of the hour leading into midnight. I crawled into bed, hugging my metre long snake. I fell asleep within the hour, Crade entwined around my arm, where the dark mark would be if I were a death eater.