PART 49- ONE OF TWO

CHAPTER 49 ~ PART ONE

LUCIUS'S POV 

'Let me kill him my Lord, I'll torture him first then...' Bellatrix snarled wildly, baring her teeth.  

'No Bella,' The Dark Lord murmured, fiddling idly with his wand, twirling it between his fingers.  

'But... Sarah can't pull it off! Draco won't let her love Potter!' I stood, clasping my wand tightly as my entire hand paled around it.  

'Lucius, sit,' the Dark Lord told me, pointing at my chair. I looked at Bella, who was glaring at Cissy behind me. 'Bella, wait for me outside.' Bellatrix raised an eyebrow and I thought she would object when suddenly she stomped out, slamming my door as she went. I sat swiftly, trying to conceal my worry under a face of emptiness. The Dark Lord muttered something in Parseltongue and seconds later Nagini slid onto the table, hungrily looking at everyone.  

'We shall talk later Lucius,' he muttered before walking out, leaving all twenty death eaters alone.

'What do we do now?' One of the newer death eaters asked, looking at me with fear all over his pallid features. I looked at the two chairs opposite me, the ones usually occupied with Sarah and Severus. Typically I sat between Cissy and Bella but today I took a proud place at my lords immediate left. I creased my eyebrows, wondering why Bella had chosen to tell the Dark Lord of Draco's affection for his child. She wouldn't choose to kill him surely but what about me? No, we were too close... I groaned, pouring myself a small glass of wine and raising the blood-red liquid to my lips. 

'You see? The Malfoy's love power, I've said I all along. And what better way to protect that then to have their youngest member joined to the Dark Lord's very own child?' I knew on instinct that it was Wormtail muddying my name.  

'Sarah Riddle is much like her father, above such foolishness as love,' I shot back, more for Draco than Sarah's sake.  

'Oh yes? Bellatrix would never lie to her master!' a young member of our force piped up. I smiled, standing before pacing around the room, my wine still in hand. 

'I am old and faithful,' I said as I walked, watching Cissy's  

eyes as she followed me. 'I would risk my family's life for the death of Harry Potter, would kill my only son! Yet, for some reason I cannot comprehend you doubt me. You, who have only been loyal for nearly a year, over Lucius Axraham Malfoy? Bellatrix Lestrange and I go far back, back to our own days at Hogwarts, do not judge me!' The windows shook slightly as I took my seat, crossing my arms. 

'Well handled Luc,' Cissy murmured, the faintest trace of a smile in the weave of her lips. I nodded, turning my attention back to the group.

Many of the newbies were paler now, powerless in their rightful place. Wormtail was glaring at me and I smiled smugly, draining the last of my wine just as Bellatrix walked back in. Her eyes were red and tears still clung to her cheeks as she sat down, her hate filled eyes never leaving me.

The room was deadly silent as the Dark Lord entered again, his long cloak billowing in the breath of winter. He took his seat gracefully, gazing around the room.  

'Now, will there be any more interruptions?' he asked icily, looking at everyone but No one at the same time. 'No?' he smiled. 'Before I instruct you let me get one thing straight. Bella?' Bellatrix Looked at him close to tears. Then, in the very voice of hatred she spoke. 

'There will be no prying into the affairs of Sarah Riddle,' she said without emotion. 'We are to treat her as we treat our lord. Are there any objections?'