Chapter Thirty : Discussing Royal Titles

Chapter Thirty | Discussing Royal Titles — 22nd July 2020

"You're really going to give me a dukedom." I said, smiling.

"Normally, I do not discuss possible titles with the couple I'm planning to give titles to but because we need to plan this wedding and figure the new structure for the family. I have asked William and Charles to join our conversation to figure out possible titles for Daniel and you." Granny said.

We were on a video chat with Granny, Pa and William to figure out what titles Granny should give us on our wedding day even though we are not certain if we will be able to marry because of the coronavirus.

"We have to make sure the titles we pick for you both are suitable and there are a limited number of dormant or extinct peerages or titles available and it is most likely Juliana will be given the title of 'duchess' in England - and it may be as well that she receives a title in Scotland such as 'countess'." Charles said.

"Since the people love Juliana, they will want us to show that with the titles that are chosen for you." William said.

"Factors that might be taken into account include who held the title previously and whether there are any negative connotations, but ultimately it is the Queen's decision based on advice from her staff." Charles said.

"I'm expected to choose from one of the vacant dukedoms. Vacancies include the dukedoms of Clarence, Ancaster and Kesteven, Leeds, Newcastle, Connaught, Kendal, Ross, and Windsor. There are also a number of unoccupied, dormant dukedoms including Buckingham, Avondale, London, Cumberland and Albany." Granny said.

"So many titles." Daniel murmured.

"And if you don't find a suitable dukedom for me, what is the other alternative?" I asked.

"Then I may choose to make Daniel a prince." Granny answered.

"Granny, would you really make Daniel a prince?" William asked.

"Yes, if I cannot find a suitable dukedom for Juliana then Daniel will be made a prince in his right." Granny replied.

"Well, we'll be happy with whatever you choose for us." Daniel said.

"Yes, we do but I would like to say the dukedom of Windsor is not a choice since it has negative connotations and the dukedom of Buckingham would just be easily confused with Buckingham Palace, which is both the name of a Royal Residence and Queen's Household." I said.

"Very true there's not many dukedoms to go through since we would have to do deeper background checks on them to make sure they are okay to use." Charles said.

"Okay but there's a looming problem that I would like you guys to think about fixing." I said.

"What is it?" William asked.

"In the 21st century, why should daughters not inherit their fathers' titles, or receive their own? I think if you're going to give me a dukedom in my own right then there should be talk about doing the same for men who only have daughters so that the titles don't die out or find a way to pass it on to the son in law." I answered.

"That has been in discussion for years, Juliana, there's only so much we can change over the course of time." William said.

"Juliana, I think by you having a dukedom that may be a step in the right discussion but the question I have is who inherits the dukedom after Juliana's passing?" Daniel asked.

"I was thinking about your unborn child to inherit it whether it be born a girl or boy." Granny replied.

"Okay, well I think we'll leave choosing our titles to you, pa and William, I know you three will find something that fits us." I said.

"Any title would be wonderful to us." Daniel said.